Game time (2)

Our first game went quite smoothly, despite the fact that we were kinda messing up for the first set. We managed to win the first and the last set. Now, we have nearly finished our second game, with the second year girls.

It's like both of our teams are on a tight rope, with a score of 21:22. Surprisingly, my team are the ones at the 22 mark. At this point, i can easily predict a deuce. I hate them. I don't know if I've made it clear already, but I am incredibly lazy for an 18 year old. However, I do nothing but try my best during sports, especially volleyball. This means I'll have to keep going during a deuce.

I straighten my posture after a ball hits the floor on our side, earning the opposite team a point. Now, its currently a tie, at 22:22. They serve the ball again, and much to my annoyance, we don't manage to pick it up.
23:22. I calm my nerves as i ask for a time out. Even though I may not have any game tactics on my mind that will help our team, I have a feeling I can help boost their confidence, and pull them out of their pit of anxiety.
Let's go.

A quick cough as I round up the right things to say. I continue to think as they gather in a circle around me.
I start, "So, guys, as you can see, the other team have proven themselves to be quite competitive, and hard to beat. They may be a bit ahead of us, but obviously we are not far behind. I tell you, don't let this one point difference get you down! We are just like them, we have also proven ourselves to be competitive, so let's fight fire with fire, and win this game just like we did the last!"
I see their eyes widen, I don't know why since there are multiple possible reasons. But, I figure that my little inspiration speech helped, as smiles creep onto their faces, and they praise me for my 'wise' words.
"Thanks, (Y/N)! I didn't expect you to be so cool!" One team member squeals, as she envelopes me in a hug. My heart skips a beat as I hear the word 'cool', an adjective I never would have expected to be used to describe me. As I receive a bit too much attention, I feel my bravery slither out of me, but I manage to mutter a grateful "th-thanks.."

We all part away, and make our way back onto the court. The other team has everyone in their positions, and so do we. They're serving again. She tosses the ball above her, charges for it, and hits it with such a big force that the ball comes flying to our side like a bullet that's been shot out of a gun. A girl on our side leaps for it, and receives it amazingly. It's heading towards our setter. In between the moment the ball bounced off our receiver's arms, and the moment it lands in our setters hands, I have ran up to the net and launched my self into the air. My hand is swinging forward, and before I know it, I'm on the floor, with a burning hand, and another point for our team.

If they want to hit the ball that hard, then we'll hit it with twice as much power.

Back to a tie, 23:23. It's our turn to serve, so I turn around and give the server a look that says
"Go get it baby." She gives me a reassuring nod in response. I then warn my team members, telling them to put their hands behind their head for protection. We can't afford to have anyone go to the infirmary.

The whistle blows, and I wait for the sound that tells us to play; the connection of her hand smacking the ball.

I hear a clap, and the ball goes over the net. But as I watch it closely, I realise that it's wavering in mid air. Confusion and panic takes over the other team, as they don't know what this is. A brave member steps forward, making an attempt to receive it. She fails, and she sends it off the court, and looks at the ball with disappointment as it hits the floor. We get another point.

I didn't expect her to do a float serve.

Of course, we're serving again. I glance at her once again, and I notice how confident she is, which is what we need right now. We all have our hands on the back of our heads, anticipating the appearance of the ball in front of us. We hear a forceful bang, not just a clap, and watch as the ball zooms over to the back left corner on the other side. Another girl hurls herself at the ball, and manages to pick it back up. I see her whimpering, as she looks at her wrists in pain. I let a giggle slip out.

The ball is now going to the setter, and two girls are making their way to the net. One of them are going to fake it. Unluckily for them, the setter's obviously fake expression gave it away, and I can tell which girl is going to get to hit the ball. As she tosses it in the air, I go to the chosen one, and I block her mercilessly. Her spike was harsh, I predicted this, so I made an effort to use my block to slam the ball back down. All team members stare at the ball emotionlessly. It bounces on the floor...

23:25.

We won.

I hope this chapter was good enough lol ( ̀ ́)
i couldnt really be bothered to write about a deuce so i just ended it there lolol see yall next chapter 💃🏼