Once Again

'Hey girl come here!' Called a woman with a pinched face to the lanky girl who had a tray of plantains perched on her head. The wind billowed this way and that signaling that it was going to rain. Nene ran towards to woman as fast as her legs could take her.
She put the tray down and waited for the woman to talk. The woman stared at the ripe plantains and picked up a fat bunch.
"How much for this one?"

"Its 500 naira ma"

"500? In this recession? Abeg talk better thing"

"Seriously ma its 500 naira. Dollar don high"

"See na 250 i get, you gree or you no gree?"

"Ah Madam buy from me now...OK take it for 400 naira"

The woman scoffed and eyed her angrily.
"Look if you no wan sell jus tell me abi which kain talk be this wan? Oya sell for me 300 let me go. My children need to be picked from school soon"

Nene sighed inwardly, she had not made any sales since she got up by 7:00 am that morning. It was a Monday morning and she was meant to be at school by latest 8:30 am. It was already 8:000 am, she had asked someone a few minutes before the woman called her.

"Ehn OK ma" she picked the bunch and put it into a black leather pack. Then she was given 1000 naira.

Ooohhh God! This early?

Nene groaned in frustration.
"Pls ma i don't have change"

The woman was obviously growing inpatient
"Ehen and so? Go find change na! Abi will i go to look for change for you? Look if you don't want to sell let me drop it and go"

Now that was what Nene will never agree to. She quickly collected the money and ran helter skelter to get the money splited. Five minutes gone, she came back and handed the woman the balance after deducting the money for the plantain.

The woman stomped away leaving Nene wondering why she was such in a fowl mood that morning.

'Well na Economy sha... Economy hmmmm things just hard like palm kernel! Oh lord save us'
Nene thought balancing the tray on her head and trekking all the way to her house.

***************************************************
Right from the dirty looking peeled paint house, she could hear voices. Children crying, shouting, mother's shouting too, some singing in mocking tones. This was a typical 'face me i slap you house' a long bungalow comprising about 12 small rooms, 6 on the left and 6 on the right. Averagely in each room,slept about 4-5 people. It was in such houses where a father a mother and up to 3-5 children existed in one stuffy one windowed room. The passage between the room was mostly dark even during the day. Different cheap curtains hung on most doors which had probably not received soap washing since their existence in the house. It was in such houses where there was always fights in the mornings and evenings. Gossips everywhere!

"Nene ah u no sell anything today? Na how u you go you take come back? Chai life ehn! Ndo o" called out someone with a squeaky voice. Nene almost scoffed at the woman speaking. Iya Pelumi that's what they called her because her first child's name was Pelumi, a girl. The woman was a very troublesome woman who loved gossip and making fun of everyone in the 'yard' as they called the house.

Nene just nodded and went into her room. There she met her mother lying down sleeping. The old lady's wrinkled face creased with sleep.

'Nene wecom any sales?how market?' Her mum asked sleepily.
Nene shook her head. "No mama only one plantain 300 naira mama"

"Chai!" exclaimed her mother" is OK o Nigeria Nigeria Ah! Oya go baf, school go soon start"

Nene nodded again and dropped the tray under the high bed. Under the bed were tubers of yam mostly not for consumption but for sale.

Nene sat down on the bed and began to remove her shirt to change into an old wrapper for bathing. She looked up and sighed. Another day at Ojodu Grammar school Berger Lagos.

************* ************* ************* ***********  Hey guys OK so this is my first story on this account on wattpad. Though its setting is in Nigeria i hope you guys enjoy the story. I know its a short chapter. Pls Dont forget to like, vote and share. Thanks!