4 years later

Ade stepped out from his office block and walked towards his car.
*pin pin* came the sound as he automatically unlocked it with the car key holder.
"Sir, your iPad Sir!" called out a young man running towards Ade. He was the office messenger for Hai-tech group of companies. An organization that dealt with computer science, engineering and app creation.
Ade had been recruited as an IT technician about 2 years back. He had sent in his application letter a few months before that and in a miraculous way, without any connections or 'long leg', he got his employment letter in a text message on his way to the cyber cafe in Ogba.
Ade almost screamed in delight. He didn't mind the tight bus or the mouth odour of it's conductor. All he could see was Hai-tech.
Luck was on his side. Within a year, he was gifted with a Toyota Venza as an official car for being a dexterous worker.
Ade had even changed his residence. He no more resided with his mum at Ojodu anymore. He now had a room and palour self contain in Lekki because it was closer to his workplace which was also situated in Lekki.
The salary too was 10 times his previous cyber cafe salary. 250 thousand naira!  What more could a man want in life?
"Okay Taofeek. Thank you" he appreciated as he collected his iPad from the messenger before entering his car and zooming off. It was 4:30 pm, he had to be in Berger before 7:00 pm. His mother had called him for an important meeting.
****************************************
"Aunty, see your sweet yam here. Two for one thousand... Your sweet yam here" Nene called as she sat on a stool looking at passersby.
It had been 4 years since she left secondary school and since she had talked to Bukola.
Leaving that hospital that day, severed any atom of relationship between them.
Bukola had tried to call her and even sent text messages to her but she never replied until one day, she had had it up to her neck and she texted her back to tell her the following words.

" Bukola, please stop calling me or texting me. I don't want to have anything to do with a selfish person like you anymore please. I heard most of what you said in the hospital on that day about me. Please delete my number from your phone and also delete my memories from your head. Have a good life! I'll manage mine too."

Bukola stopped texting her after she sent that message and she felt sadly happy. Sad that she had lost a friend and happy that she would stop being disturbed by someone who annoyed her.
"Sisi, how much?" asked an old woman who stood in front of her, scrutinizing the yams.
"Its 2 for 1 thousand naira ma" She replied
"2 for 1k? Why your market cost like this? Make I take 2 for 500 naira" the woman haggled.
Those words annoyed Nene but she kept her cool.
Faking a smile, she disagreed "No ma, its 2 for 1 thousand naira"
"Ah...on top these small small yams? Nothing dey the body now? See as the thing don dey spoil sef"
Nene looked at the tubers of yams in front of her. There was nothing spoilt there. She proceeded to frown in indignation and turned to look the other way.
"Ah, see this girl! I wan buy market and you dey look another side. Be like say you no wan sell market. Abeg commot!" The woman spat and walked away angrily.
Nene didn't care, she didn't care about a lot of things anymore. She felt semi depressed as the years had gone by. No money to process her admission into the university, her mother suffered from mild stroke and high blood pressure, residential problems and so on.

Meanwhile Ayo, Bukola and a host of other ex classmates had all gotten admission into various universities in Nigeria. Some were in their final year presently, and here she was still selling yams. Her fair skin was now more of a lighter shade of brown. Lagos sun had dealt with her mercilessly, as she hawked plantains in the afternoons since she didn't go to school anymore. It was still bright a bit, but the moon had started to show its shadow across the evening sky. Nene sniffed back tears.
****************************************
Bukola finished cleaning up her make-up with a wet wipe before throwing the wipes into a side trash can. The day had been hectic. Running from one professor to another lecturer. Trying to get her final year project done. Her make-up foundation had even run down with sweat as she  climbed stair cases during the hot afternoon.
Finally she was back at her room self-contain off campus. NEPA decided to bring power this night and students were playing music from different rooms in the off campus hostel.

Starring at her face in the mirror, she admired her slim frame. She had taken to her mother's advice at the hospital to slim down a bit, and so she took fruits and vegetables mostly instead of cooked food. She also enrolled in the school's gym and went there every week to exercise. It paid off! Luckily for her, she had a boyfriend who loved her and hinted on marrying her. Sometimes she wondered if Jide would have ever bothered dating her if she was  still fat.
Speaking about being fat, she remembered her complaining to her mother in the hospital on that day. Gosh! She was so stupid at 16. Her mind trailed to Nene's Memories. She could still remember the last part of her message to her

"and also delete my memories from your head. Have a good life! I'll manage mine too."

Those words broke her. She could never delete Nene's memories from her heart. Never! She will always live with that guilt. Guilt caused  by selfishness.

😀😀😀 Abeg I know y'all are annoyed with me for not updating since.  No vex abeg. I'm back! Hope you enjoyed this chapter? Thanks for voting and commenting!