Moonlight in Darkness

Crickets chirped in the night as Nene led Ade into the bungalow of rooms.
Due to power outage, people lit small torches from each of their rooms. Nene moved closer to the last room on the right. Dim yellow light illuminated from it, confirming the presence of an old kerosene lamp. The type that had a glass shield and thin iron wrapped around it.
"Mama, Mama, how are you?" She inquired while looking at the middle aged woman's sleeping form on the old torn mattress.

Mama Nene stirred awake and took a sleepy a look at her daughter. "Nwam, how are you? How was market today? I did not hear the sound of our wheelbarrow?" then she slowly rose up to a sitting position.
Her eyes scanned the room. Nene looked rough. No wheelbarrow and no yams in sight.

"Ah! Nene bikonu where are the yams and wheelbarrow? Did you sell all the yams with the wheelbarrow too? Where is it?" she asked while coughing, mild alarm etched on her creased forehead.
"Mama don't worry about them anymore. Someone is here to see you. Ade, come in please"
Ade quietly parted the dirty looking door curtain and stepped into the room. He looked so out of place there with his clean white polo shirt, clean jeans and white Nike footwear.
"Mama, good evening ma. How are you feeling?"
Nene's mother gave a phlegm filled cough. The cough was quite loud and it chilled Ade to his bones. This woman was really sick. It was at that moment that he made up his mind.
"Mama don't even reply me. Nene" he turned to her " Get a few clothes for you and Mama to change into. We are going back to my place on the Island okay?"
Nene was beyond overjoyed. Even her mother had forgotten about the yams. She usually didn't trust strangers but there was this warm aura around Ade that just gave her the greenlight. Mama Nene quickly assisted her daughter in packing some clothes into a Ghana must Go bag and they all left the room.
As they walked through the passageway, Mama Pelumi popped her head out of her room. She was bent in awkward manner as she was also carrying her last child, an eight months old baby.
"Ah Mama Nene, una dey travel?" she inquired albeit in a gossipy manner. She wanted to know who the tall guy was. Or was he Nene's lover?
"No, we no dey travel. We just wan reach somewhere this night" she replied and dragged her daughter's hand for them to walk faster out of that hell hole. It felt good to breath in the night air. The breath of freedom.
****************************************
Splendor! Splendor!! Splendor!!! was all Nene and her mother could think of as they got to Ade's room and palour self contain on the Island by 11:45 pm that evening.
It was not very big but the furnishings were so lovely. From the lemon green and orange painted walls, to the lemon green cushions and plush  Orange centre rug.
The plasma TV on the wall suited the sitting room very well and it was topped by a lovely glass centre table.
"Alright Mama, let me take you to the room" Ade remarked with a grin. He could see the look of awe on their faces.
Nene and her mother were led to one of the two rooms and they almost screamed in delight! A lovely bed to sleep on with beautiful curtains gracing the room. There was even a clean bathroom and toilet in the room. Oh, their Joy knew no bounds.
"Ah, Ade, my God will bless you for me. Hey! You will continue to be blessed all the days of your life. Your helpers will always locate you. May the evil ones not see you in Jesus name" she prayed from the depths of her heart.
"Amen! Amen Mama. Thank you Ma" he said with a smile before going to the sitting room to freshen up, there was a guest bathroom in the sitting room.
*************************************
The sun rays stretched through the window across Nene's hands with it's mild heat waking her up.
It was a Saturday morning.
She yawned and rubbed her eyes with the back of her right hand. Nene had slept well and even had a wonderful dream of dancing in roses.
By her side was Mama who was still dead to the world and then she remembered Ade. Ade! Oh, she had to go and greet him to appreciate him once again for yesterday. After saying a prayer to God, thanking him for bringing Ade into their lives, she then tied a wrapper on her waist with a big grey shirt on top, and wore her Dunlop slippers by the door then  went into the sitting room to greet him.
****************************************
Ade was already awake with his feet propped up on the glass centre table. He knew it was wrong to put his feet there but he still did it anyway. As he sipped his hot early morning tea,he changed the channels on the TV screen to a suitable sports channel.
Just then, Nene walked in. Looking so innocent with her big grey shirt and old wrapper. She had that lovely shy smile on her face and right there, Ade wished she could be his forever. Just to keep seeing that innocence, but he had to keep calm and not scare her with a relationship at this moment. He didn't want her to think that he was an opportunist.
"Hey, how are you? Good morning" he greeted and took a sip of his tea.
"Good morning Ade" she half whispered, then she came closer and sat next to him.
With her face bent down, she began " Ade, I really want to appreciate you for all you've done for us. I'll never forget it and I hope to pay you back one day, by God's grace"

Ade raised her jaw with his left palm. Looking into her eyes he said firmly " You don't have to pay me back for anything. I wanted to help you and I will continue to help you.
In fact, We are taking Mama to the hospital this morning. You know she isn't feeling fine"
Nene nodded in agreement and Ade continued,
"I'm sorry for not keeping in touch for the past 2 years. I've been busy with work and all. I just want you to be happy that's all and I promise you from today that I'll be your light in your darkest hours. Just like the Moon lights up the earth in the night so will I continue to light up your world. So help me God", and with those words, he planted a kiss on her forehead.

Hehehe 😀😀 e don hapun! Yo guys! How's this chapter? Hope you enjoyed it! Let me give you a spoiler 😀 the next chapter is going to be the last chapter, its actually an Epilogue! Keep yo fingers crossed - Tee-Spice
Clicking on that star will make me happy 😀. Thank you