Burning Bridges

Yo guys 😀 I'm back.

Bukola had started acting weird around Nene. She didn't smile as much as she used too. Her rare smiles were becoming forced and Nene felt very uncomfortable.
The last straw that broke the camel's back was when Bukola refused to reply Nene during their SSCE on Mathematics subject.

They both sat together because their surnames were close. Bukola's was Okele while Nene's was Okechukwu. Nene was having problems with theory question five and she knew that Bukky could help her but when she whispered to her, she refused to reply. Nene had noticed her attitude since the beginning of their school leaving exams.

So, after the mathematics exam, Nene had to run to catch up with Bukola who was walking fast towards the school gate.
"Bukky, wait!" She called while panting.
Bukola straightened and turned to Nene with a hard face. "Yes? What?" she spat.
Those words pierced Nene's heart like needles into flesh.

"Bukky,wha..what did I do to you? I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. Please forgive me." She didn't want to loose a friend who had been so good to her since their junior secondary school days.
Bukky just rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Look you didn't offend me. I just need space please. I need to focus on better things" with those words, she turned and left.

The Sun rays shone down on Nene as she stood there in the middle of the school compound. It seemed as if she was a statue. Students moved all around her but she was static.

"Look you didn't offend me. I just need space please. I need to focus on better things"

So she wasn't a better thing? Her eyes stung with unshed tears. No, she won't cry here, among many people. She'll go home and cry.
The tears were threatening to run down her cheeks and so she closed her eyes and faced up to stop them from betraying her feelings.

"Nene!" some called from her side. She opened her eyes to see Ayo. His black eyes scanned her face.
"You're crying? Why?" He asked and lifted his finger to wipe a tear that escaped her face. That betrayer! It couldn't even wait till she left the school compound.
"I'm fine" she replied and cleaned her eyes while sniffing back potential catarrh.

Ayo didn't believe her. If a girl told you that she's fine, even when she's crying, she's obviously lying.
"You're not fine, come let's go and find somewhere to seat" he ordered and led her to some steel chairs under a large tree near the blocks of classes.
"So tell me what happened" he said.

"I...I don't know what I did to Bukola, she just changed towards me since  last week Saturday. I went to see her at home. She was just acting strange. I don't know why" she said with tears in her eyes.

Ayo just laughed. " Is that why you're crying? You're not serious. Don't you know that Bukola has been jealous of you all these while?"
Nene looked at Ayo in disbelief. Her face read "Its a lie"
Ayo smiled knowingly. "I'm not lying. That girl has been trying to get me to like her since, but I don't like her. Maybe when she realised that I like you, she started giving me attitude. I see it in her eyes whenever I'm talking to you. She's very jealous."

Nene actually laughed. She couldn't believe him. Bukola never acted jealous around her, instead she even helped her to stylishly send him away with her sharp witted words.

Then she began to remember how Bukola's face looked whenever she saw Ayo. Like he was her worst enemy, as if they had some underlying issues to deal with. She remembered their conversations on one of the days when they were going back home from school.

"Nene seriously you're dulling. Ah! ah!! Can't you just shout at him to leave you alone? Mtcheww very stupid pest"

Ayo stood up and pulled Nene up. "Don't cry over her stupid childish attitude. If someone doesn't notice you or like you, don't force yourself on the person" he said.

Nene just sniggered at him "That advice should be for you, Ayo"

Savage!!!

Ayo smiled "okay, you have mouth now abi? I've made you to stop crying and you can now mock me abi? In fact I don't like you again. Bye bye" he said and started walking fast.

"Ayo wait naaaaa" Nene called out with laughter. He had succeeded in making her happy for the moment. She ran after him and they both left school together.

****************************************
All these while, Bukola had been watching them from afar through the holes in the school fence as she stood outside the school.
She felt bad that she had made Nene cry when she left but as she was about to go back and apologise to her, and tell her that she didn't know why she was acting so cold, she saw Ayo approach Nene.

That stupid Ayo. Urgh! With his cute face. He even had the guts to raise a finger to wipe Nene's tears. What rubbish! Bukola's heart burned with envy. She felt hot, not even the sun's heat could raise a torch to hers.

Then Ayo had the guts to lead Nene to a tree far away. After some minutes, they were laughing together. Laughing! Oh how she hated both of them now. Two useless idiots!
Bukola bit her lips in anger and started walking fast towards the junction when she saw Ayo stand up. She didn't want them to know that she had been lurking around.

Bukola felt something akin to heartbreak. Ayo and Ade. Only for Nene. Why couldn't she just follow her Igbo boys  and leave Bukola's Yoruba crushes in peace? As she rounded the junction corner, she bumped into a wall of flesh.

"Ah! who's that?" called out Chigozie. He turned to look at who had hit him. It was Bukola.
She didn't even say sorry. She just started walking away.
"Hey, Boo Boo!" He called after her but she didn't reply. He had liked her since Ss2 but it seemed as if Bukola had signed a life contract to hate him.

Bukola disliked Chigozie to the bones. With his big yam legs and onions breathe. Urgh! His yellow teeth was enough to put any reasonable female homo sapien off. He even had the temerity to give her a pet name; Boo Boo.
Oloribooruku!

"Hey, no let me jam you o, abeg commot for road" shouted a bike rider as he passed her. Then she noticed that she was edging closer to the road as she walked.
"Mtchewww all because of that stupid girl!" She thought angrily and she moved away from the rushing bike riders on the main road.

Hey 😀 Bukola...e don do naaa. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter? Thanks for voting, commenting and reading. God bless you