Shaking Bridges

"You may think that you're nothing alone, but you mean a lot to others. Just like the moon is dark but its light to the earth. Goodnight Nene"

Those words kept ringing in Nene's head even as she walked towards Bukola's house. It was a Saturday morning and her mother allowed her to visit friends anytime from 10 am till 2pm, because she still had to come back home to cook, eat, rest and resume evening selling at Berger market.

Nene felt that Ade's words were too deep. She didn't want to read too much meaning into it but his words disturbed her thoughts every hour.

'You may think that you're nothing alone, but you mean a lot to others. Just like the moon is dark but its light to the earth. Goodnight Nene'

Was she something? In this infinite world, this large earth. Oh yes, their  pastor had said that we were all unique creatures, but was she really something? She didn't know. She wasn't the brightest student in her class. Just an average student. She shook her head, as if to get rid of the thoughts sneaking through the holes of her mind.

Just then, she saw someone who looked familiar. He was standing in front of a chemist.
"Ade!" She shyly called out. She wasn't so sure that it was him.
The young man turned back and it was actually Ade. He looked a bit off colour. His face had this faded tint to it.
"Ah, Nene. How are you? Good afternoon. I didn't know you live around here" he started.

"Good afternoon too, no I don't. I came to see a friend. Ade are you okay? Your face, you look sickly" she inquired with a concerned look on her pretty face.
" Yeah, I just have a bit of a fever, I'll be fine. How's Mama feeling now"
This time, Ade had left the chemist shop and was walking down the street with Nene.
"Mama is fine o. Do you live on this street?"

"Yes I do, my house is over there" he pointed to a cream and brown painted bungalow in front, a few houses away from them on the right hand side of the street.
Nene could see a provision store in front of the house. Different sachet beverages hung from the shop's railings.
Then she looked opposite the house and saw her friend's house, a storey building. "Ah! ah!! Ade, your house it opposite my friends house. Bukola! " she exclaimed.
"Oh Bukola?" Ade was trying to remember who that was. He wasn't very much acquainted with the young girls on this street. He usually kept to himself.
Just then Nene sighted Bukola on the balcony of the storey building. She happily waved from afar to her friend but Bukky didn't wave back.
'Maybe she didn't see me well' Nene mused.
****************************************
Bukola had just finished preparing rice and stew in the kitchen. There was no light and the heat was sizzling in the house, so she decided to go and stand outside the balcony to receive fresh cool air. Her parents had gone out for a church program around 9:00 am that morning.

Just then, Bukola sighted someone who looked like Nene from afar, but she was with a young guy. 'Hey, Nene don dey follow man o' she joked to herself as she waited to see them clearly.

Just then their faces became clearer and she saw Ade. Ade! Her 4 years crush. The one who made her heart beat with passion.
What was Nene doing with Ade? Even smiling at him? Bukola was feeling something squeezing her heart. She had this inferiority complex next to Nene, although she never told anyone. Nene was more beautiful than she was and always caught the attention of guys in school. Now she wanted to snatch her Ade? Her own Ade? Shebi she snatched Ayo from her?
Bukola also crushed on Ayo the assistant  head boy but he never gave her face. Maybe because she was fat or black, she always wondered why.

Just then, Nene waved to her but she was too into her thoughts to reply. She could forgive Nene for Ayo but not her Ade. Ade was hers.

She continued to watch them until they got to her gate and Ade shook Nene's hand before telling her goodbye and that she should greet her mother for him? Wow, so they were unto family levels now ehn? No problem.

"Bukky, I waved at you. Didn't you see me?" She asked with a frown.
Her friend faked a smile "No joor, I was thinking of something, I didn't see you. welcome, come upstairs".
As Nene climbed upstairs, Bukola stared at Ade's retreating figure. " You're mine, no one can come in between us, not even Nene" she thought.
****************************************
😢😢 sorry for the late update guys. Any suggestions  and comments? Thanks for always viewing, voting and commenting.