See You Again

The moon shone down on Nene as she trekked the streets while pushing a wheelbarrow of yams in front of her.
She hadn't sold anything that evening. People just came to haggle and still leave without buying any yams.
She was depressed.

Yellow buses sped by her side with yellow tricycle drivers squeezing  past the buses to drop passengers and rush back to Berger to pick up more. It was a crazy night for transporters.
Nene just pushed the wheelbarrow with the last strength in her as she was lost in thoughts.

'Where did I go wrong in life? Or where did mama go wrong? This life just withholds good things from me. I've prayed, I even paid my tithe on my sales, just like the Bible instructed.
There's nothing I've not done. I've even fasted.'
She was passing by the side of her church.
"Prayer ministries Assembly".
The words were boldly drawn on a tapolin in front of the church.
Nene remembered her pastors words.

"Prayer is like loading your sky with clouds. It may seem as though there's no answer now but very soon it will rain. The rain of blessings. It will wash away your secret tears. When the Lord answers your prayers it will be as though you're drenched with a downpour of rain. Never loose hope. Keep believing. One thing the devil wants from you is to loose hope. I don't know the kind of problem you're going through but keep loading your clouds. Your rain will fall"

Nene was tired of waiting for her rain to fall.
When?...it's been 16 years since her father died and all she and her mother had gotten were droplets here and there.
They never lived in a nice home. Always from one room to another.
Never had a lot of money. Always from hand to mouth.
Never had nice clothes. Always wearing welfare clothes from church.
Never ate nice food. Garri was their main food, followed by yam, plantain and rice. Beans was too expensive to eat anyhow.
Never went to a private school, Always a public school.
Never...CRRRRRRRRR, a car screeched near her almost hitting her in the process.
With fear, Nene tried to jump away but fell down on the road. Her knees scrapped the granite and blood began to flow to the ground.
The wheelbarrow was thrown to the ground too and her yams rolled away with some breaking into two.
That was the height of it. Nene started crying  and laughing at the same time.
So life heard her lamentations and still decided to add more fuel to the fire she was in. Just great!
Hot tears ran down her eyes with an alarming speed as though she had stored them there just for this moment. She started laughing maniacally and onlookers pitied her. Some even tried to help her recover her rolling yams.
Just then, a Toyota Venza parked  by her side.
****************************************

"Jesus!" shouted Ade in his air-conditioned car as he drove out of his mother's street. He had just finished from  his meeting with her. Same old talk...'Ade my son, when are you getting married? You have everything you need except a wife '. He had  laughed it off thinking 'this woman would not kill me'.
As he drove out, after having a lovely meal of home cooked amala and ewedu soup, he caught sight of a car swerving to enter a corner street. The SCREEEEEE sound it made was quite loud.

"All these Lagos drivers sef, so rough!" He muttered, then something caught his eyes. Yams rolling on the floor. Hope this yeye man hadn't hit someone? Ade drove closer only for him to see a face he hadn't seen in over 2 years.
Nene! His Nene! On the road? Crying? So those were her yams?
He had to shout Jesus! Hoping she wasn't hurt.
Ade quickly parked by her side and jumped out of his car.
"Nene!" He shouted in a voice mixed with delight and anxiety.
*************************************
Nene stopped crying and looked up. The tears in her eyes blurred the face of the person in front of her.
Who was this? Ade! Nene quickly stood up but almost fell down again because of the pain in her knees. Ade quickly caught her in his arms and steadied her.
With compassion in his eyes, he studied her face. Nene was darker now.
"Nene, what happened to you?" he didn't care if her dusty looking gown would stain his clean white polo shirt. All he wanted was for her to be okay.
Nene rested her head on his chest.
"Ade, I'm tired. I'm tired of living" she cried.

"No you can't give up! You'll get into the car with me now. Forget the wheelbarrow and the yams. You won't need them anymore. Let me take you home" he assured her as he led her to his car.
It was going to be a long night.
**********************************
Yes! Yes! 😀😀 is like rain is going to fall very soon for Nene o. Thank you  so much for reading and commenting. Pls don't forget to vote! 😘😘😘