The Amusing Buyer

The time keeper came out of SS3 E. Looking smart in his well ironed school uniform, he rang the bell signalling the end of classes.

GILIN GILIN GILIN came the tintinnabulation of the bell. As the sound travelled across the buildings from SS1 to SS3 buildings, a rumble of noise could be heard almost simultaneously. Students were happily packing their books into their bags and ready to rush home. The day was stressful enough for them.

"Will you keep quiet?" Came the voice of an annoyed teacher who was in one of the classes. Their noise annoyed him.
Meanwhile, Nene stuffed her mathematics note into her old school bag. The zip had long spoilt since she was in SS1 but she occasionally used needle and thread to hold the sides.

Her fair skin contrasted with the faded black bag as she squeezed her book through the small opening she left in between the zip line.
As she stood up, the sun rays from the window shone on her face and illuminated her very golden brown eyes, making them look like contacts. That's one of the things that made people like her, the colour of her eyes. It was like honey dipped in the rays of the sun.

"Nene, oya let's go na!" called out Bukola, a close friend of hers who was also in the same class with her. Bukola was from a middle class family. Her mother was a teacher in the school and her father was also a teacher but in a private school. She saw Nene as a sister and always loved to help her out in anyway that she could. Especially during lunch time.

"I'm ready" Nene replied and the duo walked out of the class but were stopped on their way to the staircase by Ayobami, the assistant head boy. He had been on Nene's neck since SS1 begging her to date him, but she refused.

Ayobami was a straight A student but a womaniser due to his good looks. His dimples melted a lot of hearts in school, and he enjoyed the company of many girls. Rumour had it that he had dated almost every girl in SS2 Classes from Class A to Class E.

"Nene, are you going home?"he asked smiling.
Bukola just scoffed and rolled her eyes "No, she's going back to the class, she just wants to go and wash the principal's clothes and come back. Mtchewww" She said sarcastically.

Nene smiled in pity for the boy. Since she had informed Bukola about Ayobami, the former had seen to it that she frustrated the boys efforts. She didn't want anybody to spoil Nene's future according to her. Not especially one stupid fine boy who was still feeding from his parents.

"Ayo, I'm going home. See you tomorrow" she replied and left with Bukola.
On their way, as they walked down Aina street, Bukola turned to Nene

"Nene seriously you're dulling. Ah! ah!! Can't you just shout at him to leave you alone? Mtcheww very stupid pest"

Nene chuckled "No naa Bukky, I don't want trouble for myself. One can't tell who all these boys are related to. I don't someone to waylay us on the road and beat us to pulp. Abeg, make I dey my dey. I'll keep being polite until he gets tired of me"

Bukola sniggered "Yimu, gets tired? Since SS1 ooo, we're in SS3 now, we'll soon write our SSCE and he's still disturbing you. Okay, all the best o"
"Bukky, otito oo (it's okay) we'll see tomorrow ehn, I have to get home and rest. You know that I still have to go to sell this evening"

Bukola frowned. She hated seeing her friend stand in front of tubers of yam placed on a big nylon by the road, calling out to people to buy yams.  It hurt her, but for now, there was nothing she could do about it. She wished her parents were very rich so she could help Nene financially as much as she wanted to.