Chapter 6

I was sitting in my room indulged in deep thought. Paris snapped her fingers in front of my face to get my attention. I smiled at her. That smile didn't even survive for seconds. It vanished quicker than it came.

Paris sat near me. Her features told that she was at the peak of suspicion. She gave a long stare and said, "I know you're not fine from last week. Tell me what's wrong?"

Paris knew me well even though I knew her better. I didn't want to hide anything from her. As I didn't feel like sharing, I tried to cover up. "It's just a thing with Drew."

She was like going to slap me anytime then. She took a breath and asked, "A thing with Drew means nothing other than clashes between you too, isn't it?" I had put my face in my hand. She added, "It pains me to say this, Sue, what's wrong with you two? You both are fighting much lately."

I raised my head and faced her. I couldn't hide the truth anymore. So I decided to tell her everything. "There was this guy, my highschool boyfriend, named Chase who came in between us," I told with hesitation.

Her face lightened up in an instant. "Chase?! As in Chase Mathews. The rich player in your highschool for whom the girls were drooling at that time," Paris said flying in sky.

I understood that she too fell for Chase's charms once. I was sure, she would be disappointed with the rest of the story. I said calmly, "Actually I played the player for a bet. But he loved me truly which he was never meant to do due to his stardom. He was broke for the first time in his whole life because of me. So he took his revenge on me using Drew."

Paris' eyes widened in utter shock. She gasped. She said, "If we were in highschool now, I'd have seen you as a legend. You played a player. But he took revenge that's so cliché."

I was not in a mood for her silly talks. If I had done the same to her, she would have ripped my head off. I wasn't exaggerating, she was most likely to do it. I got up irritated to leave at once. She held my hand and mouthed a quick sorry. I sat down giving a warning glare.

"Jokes apart. Are you going to make up with Drew?"

"Of course!" I nodded. "It's not one of those small quarrels which I don't care much. It broke out big. Always he's the one to sort things first. This time, I'll talk to him. Not now, only after some time."

•••
Before one week...

It was an evening. The climate was humid with a little drizzle. So we took shelter in an outdoor restaurant. It was a simple outlet with six tables under big umbrellas. All the other tables were full except for ours. I was enjoying the mild chillness caressing my skin. I stretched my hands to feel the mild shower. My palm was dotted with very minute droplets. When my eyes met Drew, he was smiling to himself. I raised my eyebrows. He shook his head with a blink implying nothing.

I saw someone by my side. "Excuse me, sorry to disturb you guys, can I take a seat?" asked the stranger.

"No problem. Take a seat," said Drew.

I turned towards him. I had trouble recognising him at first but he was the last person I expected to meet. Chase Matthews. I couldn't help but to stare at him. He was also doing the same.

"Hey, Sue, do you remember me?" His eyes twinkled.

"Yeah, Chase, what are you doing here?" I tried to sound casual.