Chapter 8

It was been a year, neither I contacted nor Drew. I understood the relationship with him was a wound which heals with time.

After toiling in convincing her parents, Paris finally prepared to get married. A typical wedding at the cathedral.

I was truly happy for her as she chose the perfect guy. Joe was a reliable gentleman. At first, I had no belief in him. Eventually he proved me utterly wrong.

At the wedding

That day started pleasantly. We all were waiting for Paris. I adjusted my baby blue dress. The dress was selected by Paris as I was the bridesmaid.

Joe stood across with his cheerful smile. Behind him, there was Drew, the best man, staring at me with a blank expression. I averted my eyes. I wouldn't spare him a second glance.

The wedding crowd cheered. Paris entered holding her father's arm followed by a little girl flowering the floor. They shared a warm smile. She got on the stage and took her place.

The orations went in a blur. Joe and Paris exchanged rings. "You may kiss the bride," said the priest. Joe gave a peck on her lips. It was a cute one.

The young lasses were eager to catch the bride's bouquet out of the cathedral. The belief was that whoever catches the bouquet will get married next. I was not so enthusiastic but I decided to try. That was what Paris wanted me to do.

Paris held the bouquet above her head and threw it in the air. I didn't know if it was fate. The bouquet came my way. I was struggling to catch it midair. I was raised off the ground and caught it. Only then I realised Drew lifted me from behind. "What did you do?" I hissed and pushed him slightly.

"I was trying to help you." He rolled his eyes and walked away.

...she caught it only because of the guy.

Then the bouquet belongs to him.

Who'll get married first? The guy or the gal...

The girls were murmuring about us. It was so annoying. Paris gave me an apologising smile as the girls were her cousins. I didn't bother to mind them anyways.

•••
We all headed to the wedding party destination. The couple had cut their wedding cake and fed each other. The whole place was drowned with melodious music. Then all the couples filled the dance floor inclusion of the newly weds. They began to dance slow.

I sat at the table eating the delicious cake. Drew made his way through the enchanted couples. "Sue, shall we?" He asked extending his hand. I sighed heavily and went back to finish the cake.

I ate as slow as I could to shoo him off. He snatched the spoon and ate the last piece. I shrunk my eyes. "I want to talk to you. It'll be easy to do among the crowd," he said with confidence. I didn't give a damn.

He pulled my leg grabbing my ankle. Within seconds, I stood close to him in a ballet position. We were very close as if our bodies were glued. I felt my cheeks heat up.

"Sure," was all I said to escape from him. He did let go of my leg. I had put my heels properly and we both had hit the  dancefloor.

I wondered what he had to talk after one complete year. I had already decided to be rude enough to make him stay a far thereafter.

We both started to go with the flow of the music. "So how's your girlfriend? Or should I ask who's your girlfriend?" I questioned.

He said nothing just frowned. We swayed apart from the crowd to have some privacy. "How's the girl at the cafe? Does she had the luck of being your long time girlfriend? If she does, she is the dumbest-," I aroused his anger with my crazy words.

He stamped my leg. "Ouch!" I pursed my mouth and kept quiet. I didn't want to get hit and again.

Then he spoke, "Sue, listen to me for God's sake."

"God bless you, Drew. Cause I'm not going to listen to you. I had enough listening and believing you," I said smirking.

"Please...," he pleaded.

I threatened him saying, "If you speak anymore, I'll get out of here."

"What do want me to do?" he asked with a sad face.

I thought for a minute and answered, "Tell me the unexpected thing and surprise me. You're best at that game. Only then I'll listen."

"You want surprise. Huh? I'm going to get married," he said. A giggle escaped my mouth. "No kidding, Sue. I'm marrying Emma, the girl at the cafe."

By then our dance finished with a swirl, fall and catch. We were seeing eye to eye, a perfect moment for a kiss. Not a chance. I distanced myself from him. His expressions said he was expecting something. "My advance wishes," I said coolly.

"Thanks," said Drew.

We will be deprived of each other's love,
At least we will have our egos to replace love.