21

PRESENT

PRESENT

"So 200 thousand dollars?"

"Yup," I mumbled, continuing to walk with Clay, "They really thought they could buy mom and dad off."

Sighing, Clay shook his head, "I can't believe my mom even entertained that idea."

"She actually encouraged mom to not take the deal. She said she wouldn't rest until she knew the truth... if only my mom knew what that truth was."

Clay only nodded, the two of us finally arriving at the park where we sat down on the swings.

The silence fell upon us as Tony soon came along and finally, Clay spoke.

He spoke about Jeff, confessing to him what he had just confessed to Jeff's parents and me, feeling the sadness come upon me again.

I watched as Clay put in the next tape, already handing me one of the earbuds.

"It's your tape- Clay's, I mean."

Silence filled both the boys as I shrugged, "I guess it makes sense. If I ever made these kinds of things, Jeff would definitely be in it."

"Yeah but Jeff didn't do anything bad to you, did he?" Clay asked, making me slowly shake my head.

"No."

"And I did- to Hannah."

"Clay you can't just assume that."

"Why else would I be in it, Anna?!"

Cringing at his loudness, I watched as Clay let out a shaky breath, standing up.

The nerves were definitely eating him alive and I think a big part of that had to do with the fact that this was his tape.

We'd finally hear why my sister thought he was one of the reasons for her death.

And he wasn't letting that go so easily.

"Did I kill Hannah Baker?"

"Yeah," Tony mumbled sadly, "We all did."

Making his way over to the bench, I looked over at Tony who only nodded, the two of us getting up ourselves to follow him.

"How in the hell am I supposed to listen to this?" Clay mumbled, looking over at Tony who shrugged as he placed his bag down.

"I think the asshole answer is you put the headphones on, the cassette tape in, and you press play."