24

PAST

PAST

It felt like there was problem after problem in the Baker household. The main one? Mom and dad were continuing to deal with financial issues, arguing while Hannah and I listened.

Hannah and I felt bad ,of course, her going as far as offering to use the money saved for her college fund.

Hannah didn't see it as a big deal although I knew she was secretly hoping they wouldn't agree.

While she definitely wanted to help our parents, I knew another part of her wanted to go to college.

But I didn't have that problem, so I knew I should be the one to help- to save the day as I always found myself trying to do.

"Okay, all of you stop there. You don't have to use Hannah's college fund. You can use mine. I'm not going to college."

Altogether, the three of them asked, "What?"

I shrugged, "I just don't see the use of it anymore-"

"All this for a boy? Really?" dad scoffed, obviously not too pleased with my answer.

I grew silent at that, mom sighing as she looked over at dad warningly, "Andy."

"Right. I'm gonna go," I mumbled though, not bothering to stick around to hear what he had to say.

I left, practically slamming the door on the way out, hoping they got the hint but they didn't- at least Hannah didn't.

"Anna, he didn't mean it. Cmon. You're overreacting."

Turning around in an instant, I glared at her, "Overreacting? Hannah, you've been a mess the whole year for so many reasons and each time I've been there for you yet when I need you- you tell me I'm overreacting?!"

"No," Hannah sighed, "Anna, I'm sorry but-"

"Christ Hannah you're so goddamn selfish! I- just stay away from me."

Walking away from her, I felt all sorts of anger, anger I've never felt towards my family or even Hannah for that matter but it was all there.

And that anger soon turned into tears threatening to spill out, doing just that the second I spotted him.

Clay Jensen.

The guy I had shared so many memories with Jeff, the one person I knew would understand me and what I was feeling.

"Clay," I whispered, Clay turning in an instant, frowning when he saw me standing there.