Chapter Seven

-Dick's POV-

I got home from a long day at work, loosened my tie, and collapsed onto the couch. I took a deep sigh and just let my muscles relax. Checking my watch, I knew I had to head out to patrol in about an hour.

The door swung open and Barbara stepped in. Her lips were pressed in a tight expression and she refused to look at me. I had done something wrong, but what?

I swaggered over to her as she dropped her bag onto the kitchen counter. "Hey Babs, what's wrong?" She whipped around, staring me down.

"Why didn't you tell me Athena was back!?" Barbara yelled, grabbing my shoulders. I rolled my eyes and pulled her into my chest.

"Are you jealous, Barbara?" I teased, smirking and kissing her neck. She scoffed and pushed me off, keeping me at arm's distance.

"Dick, are you serious?" She suddenly sounded sad, "Athena was my friend! You knew she was back days ago! How could you hide this from me?"

I sighed. I really didn't see the problem. Why couldn't my relationships just be normal? Why would my girlfriend freak about me not discussing the return of my ex-girlfriend? Why couldn't it just be a matter of jealousy?

"Barbara, Athena isn't our friend anymore. She deserted us and broke our trust. I didn't think I had to tell you that a stranger just was admitted to the hospital."

"The hospital!? Is she okay!?" Barbara's eyes filled with worry, making me a bit angry. Wait, was I getting jealous?

"Why do you care?"

"Why don't you?" She grabbed my hand, "Dick, I know what she did was wrong, but I bet she has her reasons. You aren't usually this unforgiving."

She was right. I was a firm believer that everyone deserves a second chance. But, Athena was different. I had let her into my life and into the lives of my closest friends, my family. We had all trusted and loved her. I had loved her...and then she left. She returned to the League of Assassins after saying all of her feelings were faked. How could I forgive that when I hadn't really known her at all? There was nothing to forgive because I had never really known Athena.

"If you want to go have tea with Athena, go ahead. No one is stopping you," I growled, walking away.

"Dick," Barbara grabbed my shoulder, "I think you should go too. Before you object, I think you should go because you have been acting different lately. I didn't know why at first, but I know now that it is because of her. By going and visiting, you can purge her from your system and maybe I'll be able to see you smile again." Barbara kissed my cheek. Despite her optimism, I couldn't bring myself to crack a smile.

I ran my fingers through Barbara's fiery hair. "If it will make you happy, I will go see my ex. Why can't you just be jealous instead?"

Barbara smirked and ran her hand down my chest. "Because I know Dick Grayson better than the pig-headed boy knows himself."

-

About a week later, I knocked on the door of Wayne Manor. After Barbara had gone and seen her, I had been let in on her current whereabouts. I felt like I was going to throw up. In the pit of my stomach, I felt anxiety brewing. I gulped as the door was pulled open.

"Master Dick! What a surprise!" Alfred greeted, his face crinkling as he smiled.

I stepped forward and wrapped the old man up in my arms. "It's great to see you, Al."

"Well, come in!" Alfred pulled me inside. The Manor still looked the same. It was sparkling clean and bright. Every time I walked through those doors, I was flooded with memories. Bruce and I playing hide-n-seek, Alfred scolding me after I destroyed the kitchen, Tim and I sliding down the staircase. It was like coming home.