Chapter Forty One

-Dick's POV-

Despite all the chaos that Joker's escape meant for Gotham, I decided to head back to Bludhaven. With the possibility of Red Hood's return, I had to make sure Bludhaven wasn't left defenseless so I could go frolic in a different city.

Leaving Bludhaven always felt like I was cheating. Property wad destroyed and about three people died while I was away. I didn't know Red Hood's endgame -- no one did except for maybe Nightingale -- but I couldn't be sure that it didn't involve harming innocents. At this point, Red Hood didn't directly go after the innocent, setting himself apart from other villains. He mostly went after people that he deemed "unworthy" of living. He had his own twisted idea of justice. 

"Barbs, call me back when you get this message. I think I'm going to stay and patrol Bludhaven for a few more days. I'll try and get back to the city to see you if you want," I clicked my phone off and put in a compartment in my utility belt. 

Barbara was surprisingly on board with my back and forth adventures. But then again, I guess that was just how she was. When I told her I would be leaving for Bludhaven again, she would just smile and say, "Ok, be careful. I'll hold down the fort and help Bruce while you're gone."

A part of me -- the jealous, drama loving part of me -- wanted her to throw a fit and tell me not to leave. I wanted her to scream at me or accuse me of being a bad boyfriend or something. We both were just so laid back that there was rarely any excitement in our relationship. 

Being together, me and her, was exciting of course. We were young and full of energy. Barbara was also very creative. The fact that we were friends before also added some dynamics between us. But every time we weren't together, our relationship felt dull. 

As soon as I reentered the city, I immediately felt a difference. The city seemed...tainted. Red Hood's presence there had corrupted it significantly. 

Unlike the last time I visited, there were no huge fires or hints of explosives. However, I could still tell that Red Hood was here, just passing through at least. As I flew through the air on my grapple line, I tapped into the Bludhaven Police Department radio line.

About a month ago, the BPD agreed to station me in Gotham to follow a lead on a Bludhaven criminal. I had remained there ever since, so I never really had a chance to check back up on my city.

The cops were babbling about several mob attacks, muggings, and murders. I raised an eyebrow. I was shocked. How and why were there so many crimes happening all at once?

I swung around quickly, helping out as many as I could. But, every time I stopped one, two more crimes occurred within the borders. 

Finally, I asked a police officer. "What's happening tonight? Why are all the criminals acting out all the sudden?"

"All the sudden?" The cop replied, turning around to see me in the shadows, "Ever since Red Hood passed through here and escaped, the criminals have been rampant."

I frowned. The cop wasn't accusing me, but I still felt guilty. Red Hood attacked Bludhaven and I wasn't here to stop it, so he walked free. The scum of Bludhaven must've taken that as a heads up that Bludhaven's protector was out of town.

And I was.

I hated how even when he wasn't here, Red Hood could destroy Bludhaven. That was the thing about that bastard. Even without directly interfering or even trying really, he could bring things crumbling down. I assume that's the exact reason why Bruce hated Joker so much. He was the same way. Both of the agents of chaos could bring destruction with them without so much of lifting a finger. 

The difference between Joker and Red Hood was the civilian support. In every city on Earth, Joker was hated. Even other villains hated him. Only fellow psychopaths supported him. He was a super villain through and through. So, when Batman went after him, no one tried to stop him.

But, Red Hood was supported by the public. The more cynical people of Gotham saw Red Hood as the Batman they all needed. They liked the idea of killing bad guys instead of imprisoning them. The ones who supported him were usually directly involved with criminal cases. They were rash, angry people who wanted a harsher revenge for the awful people who hurt them. And to them, Red Hood could and would give that to them.

That support made it hard to track him and get things done. If he was spotted, we would get varying witness accounts, throwing us off his trail. It was annoying and had slowed our progress drastically. Every time a civilian who worshiped Red Hood got in our way, I could feel Bruce's frustration.

It didn't help that he wasn't without allies, either. Even with just half of her help focused towards the Batfamily, Athena was very efficient. She got things done. Red Hood was unbelievably lucky that he was able to get her on his side. It was more unbelievable that he had accomplished that. 

Athena was a smart girl, very much so. She was also very reasonable. If her own personal vendettas and feelings weren't involved, she would have a very cool head and would ration out every decision. She also was extremely hesitant towards forming bonds and alliances with people.

So what had Red Hood offered her?

Maybe she had changed since she left me. Maybe her time back at Ra's Al Ghul's temple had shown her just how good she had it with the family. In that case, she would've been easy to manipulate and control. Red Hood could easily establish a connection with her if she had freshly returned from being tortured.

I thought back to when I first saw her again in almost two years. I had been so consumed with her and the fact that she was alive while she was in a coma. Then, as soon as she awoke, that same old resentment flooded me. Thinking back, I was actually very rude to her. It must've hurt for me to be so angry especially when she had just gotten away from the people who tortured her.

I struggled with forgiving her. I was sure that she regretted leaving, but I wasn't sure that she regretted leaving me. After all, her abandonment of the only people who actually cared about her was met with...I didn't even know. 

The realization hit me hard. I realized that I didn't even know what had happened to her. All I knew was that she was tortured by Ra's Al Ghul for being a traitor. But the rest...I wasn't sure. A sinking feeling made my throat close up. I never really let Athena explain herself. I never did. 

Could I afford to give her that chance? To give her that kind of trust again? I would be lying if I said that I didn't yearn to know what happened to her while she was away and if it was worth it. I wanted to hear her say that she regretted everything. I wanted to hear those words come out of her mouth. And I wanted her to mean it. 

Maybe I had judged her rather harshly but, she had really hurt me. I had placed all my trust into her. It was like she was holding me up over a cliff, my entire body weight resting in her hands. Then, she let go of me and I plummeted into the deep, painful darkness. She had been lying to me and playing me. I had been dumped before, but Athena's rejection of me would always stick out as the worst break up I ever had to deal with.

That being said, our relationship was probably one of the best things I had ever experienced. We had our rough patches, but just being with her felt indescribable. It was the most magical feeling. I had been craving that same feeling ever since she left me.

I realized I still hadn't quite scratched that itch. Barbara was great, but it wasn't the same. She made me feel warm and fuzzy, like a childhood crush. I guess that's what she was. Athena made me feel...excited. She made my heart beat faster. 

It really was like hanging off the edge of a cliff. All that adrenaline pumping through my veins...wondering if she'll let go.

~~~~~~~~Kinda short chapter lol. It is so hot in my house right now oh my god. School is literally making me wanna die but softball is going good so I guess it's okay. Anyway, thank you guys for all the positive comments on my last chapter! I really appreciate your guy's compliments and humor!~~~~~~~~~