Chapter Thirteen

-Dick's POV-

I pushed open the large glass doors to Wayne Enterprises. Waltzing in, I recognized the same old desk girl. She smiled and waved, her pale cheeks turning a light shade of pink. I shrugged it off and leaned on the corner.

"Hey Dick. It's been awhile," she teased, twirling her blond hair around her red fingernails.

"It has," I grinned, "I need to see Bruce. Do you know where he is?" 

She pulled up her phone and typed in a number. Holding the phone to her face, she waited for a few seconds. "He's not picking up his office phone. I can buzz you up to his office if you want to go check on him."

I nodded. "That would be nice." She pressed a button and the elevator opened. With a parting wave, I climbed in.

Wayne Enterprise was just as clean and organized as Wayne Manor. It was exactly as Bruce liked it. The floors were shiny from fresh wax. All the offices held smart and efficient people, appointed by Bruce directly. That was the thing about Wayne Enterprises. Bruce had met every person who worked there. He liked being familiar with his workers, just like his parents. And most of the workers liked him. Especially the women workers. However, I knew Bruce hadn't slept with any employees.

Even the elevator was nice. It smelled like vanilla. Over the speakers, there was a catchy pop song playing. I leaned against the back as the elevator moved. Bruce had a top floor office with a complete and spectacular view of Gotham. 

The doors opened as I finally stopped on the right floor. I took fast and long steps as I made my way to the office doors. Every wall was covered in windows, showing the bright, summer Gotham skyline. 

I pushed open Bruce's doors to see Barbara sitting at his desk. "Uh..." I cleared my throat. Barbara shot out of the chair. She turned to see me and then let her shoulders relax.

"Oh, it's just you," she pressed a kiss to my cheek and gathered a few files in her arms.

"Where's Bruce?" I asked, looking around.

"He's on a date with Ebony," Barbara said, meeting my eyes. It was a code. The young members of the Bat family had developed a code name for when Bruce or any of the family was out on hero business during the day. 

Bruce used a different code because he said that ours was immature. But, we found it funny back in the day. Barbara and I had came up with it when I was Robin. We had used it all the time, Jason had used it, and even Tim had used it. Before we introduced it to Tim, he had been actually convinced that Barbara was dating some girl named Ebony and that that girl was cheating on Barbs with me. 

Ebony was used as a code for extra safety. I had thought Bruce's office was safe, but Barbara was like Bruce. They both were super cautious when it came to identities. So, there it was. Bruce was on a date with Ebony.

"When will he be back?" I took a side glance around the room for any sign of Bruce's whereabouts. 

"I don't know," she hugged the papers to her chest, "but, he seemed very focus. I think he's worried about the newest addition to Gotham."

Red Hood. I was interested in him too. I needed to compare notes with Bruce. But, I didn't know where he was. 

I made my way back to Wayne Manor after  quick make out session with Barbs. Alfred welcomed me with some tea. We chatted for a few hours, until I decided to take a small nap. When I woke up, the sun was down and the Bat signal was in the sky.

I rubbed my eyes and looked around my old room. I grabbed my Nightwing uniform and slipped it on. The red still surprised me, but I liked it. It was a change that I had done on my own.