Chapter 7

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 7

“Hailey! Hailey! Wake up!”

I gasped and opened my eyes as I sat up in my bed. My heart was beating violently and I was sweating. My breathing came out short and fast like I had just run a marathon and several disturbing pictures flashed in my mind.

I put my head between my hands and tried to control my breathing as tears rolled down my cheeks.

“Hailey?” Chase whispered with concern clear in his voice.

“I’m okay,” I whispered back, my voice shaky “Just a bad dream.”

He stayed quiet for a while then he wrapped me in a hug. I closed my eyes briefly as he comforted me.

“Go back to sleep, Chase. I’ll be okay,” I said after a minute when I was able to regain my composure.

“Are you sure?” he asked uncertainly.

“Yes,” I said convincingly and with one last look at me, Chase nodded and stood up.

“If you need anything, come to my room, okay?” he said.

“Okay. Thanks Chase,” I answered giving him a small smile.

He started walking out of my room but paused by the door.

“Do you want me to turn off the lights?” He asked.

“No!” I said quickly, surprising him. I cleared my throat and looked away as I spoke again.

“I sleep with the lights on,” I explained and his eyebrows furrowed.

“Okay,” he said after staring at me for a minute as if I were a puzzle he wanted to put together.

When I heard my door click, I sighed and allowed the tears to flow more freely. I guess I won’t be sleeping anymore after that nightmare.

I wish they were still here, I thought, but they are gone and I have to accept that.

I shook my head, trying to shake all these thoughts away. I took out my book and started reading hoping it will keep my mind off things.

It didn’t.

That was the first time reading doesn’t help me forget everything. One of Nicholas Sparks’ best books wasn’t able to stop my thoughts.

I glanced at my watch and sighed again. It was still 4:15 in the morning. I took out my sketch book and started drawing everything that was disturbing me.