Chapter 15

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 15

“What class do we have now?” I asked to no one in particular.

“Music,” a few people answered and I nodded.

From the beginning of the year we weren’t really doing much during music class. We watched a video once about the opera and the other times the teacher just told us about the history of music. He promised that we would go to the music room this time, though. He said that this week we are going to sing and if someone wanted to play some of the instruments, they could. I didn’t know that we had a music room in our school so I was excited to see it.

The supervisor came to our class and told us to go to the music room because our teacher was there waiting for us.

I just walked with my classmates because I had no idea where it was.

“So Hailey, do you play any instruments?” Paul asked and I shook my head.

“Nope,” I replied “I can only play a few songs on the guitar because a friend of mine taught me.”

Chad was one guy I really liked hanging out with. I thought that he would be the one to stick by my side when I fell off the social ladder because when we were hanging out together he was really fun and sincere –unlike the others— but I guess he liked the popularity too much because he didn’t turn his back on the popular crowd to be my friend. Yet he was better than the rest because he still talked to me when we met in class or in the hallways. Anyway, he was really good when it comes to the guitar and I always admired his talent so he taught me for a bit. It was fun but nothing basic—only a few songs I liked.

“I play the guitar,” he said, grinning “I can teach you.”

“You do?” I asked, surprised. I didn’t know he did but now that I think of it, it suits him. He nodded and I continued talking. “Thanks but you’ll give up from the first time. I suck! It took my friend two months to teach me a verse from a song.”

“Two months?!” He said, his eyes widening.

I laughed.

“Yeah, he was really patient, unlike you,” I teased him.

“I am patient!” He huffed but we both knew that it was a lie.

“Sure you are,” I replied, patting his shoulder and he laughed.

Suddenly, we stopped in front of a green door. Paul opened the door and I gasped when I saw the room. It was huge—more than twice the size of our class—and filled with instruments! There was a beautiful black piano in the front and center, two electric guitars to the left, three normal guitars next to them, two violins, five flutes, five harmonicas, and two drum sets on both sides of the room. There was even a harp!