Chapter Four

Chapter 5:

Friday took forever in approaching.  It seemed more like it had been three weeks instead of just four days.  

When it finally arrived, I was so psyched for the sleepover.  My mother had consented to allowing me to go to Lyssa’s house.  I couldn’t wait to  meet the rest of Lyssa’s family, and her three dogs, Lola, Mr. Snuggles, and Lady Gaga. 

I was surprised at the names of the dogs, but then I found out why they had such strange names.  Well, even after I found out the reason for the names, I was still surprised, though.

Lola was named because Alyssa had been allowed to name her.  Alyssa had been in love with the song “Copacabana” and so she decided to name her new dog after the protagonist.

Mr. Snuggles had been named after the youngest son’s teddy bear, as the child thought that the dog looked just like him.

And finally, Lady Gaga gave the family their last dog, so they named it Lady Gaga after her.  This amused me greatly, and I laughed as Lyssa  told me this.  

I approached the house, and I was amazed.  The place was huge, and I was shellshocked at the size of the house.  I slowed as I neared the house.  

Trying to look like I was not completely dumbstruck, I poked the doorbell tentatively.  A butler opened the door.  However, I was far less shocked when Lyssa shoved past him to greet me.

“JJ!” she squealed, elbowing the butler who had been trying to take my coat.  After my coat had been taken, she grabbed me and practically dragged me to her room.

After I placed my luggage on her spare bed, she once again dragged me along.  She showed me everything in the house, from her fish(she had thirty!) to her father’s four Academy Awards. 

Then she gave me another tour, this time of her room.  This time, she showed me everything in her room, even some things that I never wanted to see, such as her underwear drawer, her acne cream, and the toy car that she stole from her brother, which was covered with the heads of her old barbies.

Finally, she relaxed, and collapsed on her bed.  Then, after a few more minutes, she started up again, suggesting things that we could do. 

Eventually, we decided to have main-pedis while watching a movie.  But, instead of going to grab a few colors, Lyssa once again dragged me through various twists and turns until we arrived.

She shoved open a door, and I was in girl heaven.  Now I am not what you would call a girly-girl; however, the room might have changed my mind.  They had hired help just to take care of that room and give pedicures or manicures when needed!  I so wanted this house.  

So, we were waited on hand and foot while a professionally-trained Chinese women chatted quietly, working away on our toes.  Lyssa picked out a movie for us to watch, which I was later to regret.  She had chosen The Princess Bride, which I guess is a great movie in all prospectives, except for one.  I found the electrocution part horrifying, and I was positive that I would have nightmares that night.  

Soon, a message came for us over the security system that was wired throughout the house.  We learned that it was dinner time, and, hobbling along because of our wet toes, approached the dining hall.  We dined on delicacies which at any restaurant would probably cost thirty or forty dollars for one single item.  I could not eat without thinking how much my mom and I would give for this kind of food every night.  I tried to make polite conversation with Alyssa’s family, but the boys were playing video games the whole time, while her mom kept answering her cell and her father kept texting people.  

I was very relieved when dinner had finally finished; Lyssa seemed to feel the same way.  

“Why does your family not talk at all during dinner?”  I asked Lyssa unconfidently.    I was confused as to how a family could be so separated.  I grew up in a tight family, and very unused to seeing such a disconnected family life.  

“Oh.  Well, Mom and Dad are always busy with both of their businesses, and my brothers are in that stage where they don’t care about anything but video games.”  She seemed very insecure and anxious about the topic, so I decided to drop it.  

“So..... What would you like to do now?  How about, um, we do some karaoke, or maybe we have a fake photo shoot?  That would be funny.....”  Lyssa giggled nervously, obviously uncomfortable with the situation.  

I relented, knowing that to choose to further the conversation would be foolish.  So I agreed to go along with the whole pretend modeling shoot idea.  

She once again led me to a new corridor/section thingy once again, and soon I found that we were in another room.  This one was designated for modeling shoots.  

“Mom sometimes brings home models for some shoots when the agency’s office is closed, or for a demo.  So, she won’t know if we just dress up a little and snap a few shots on her camera.” Alyssa said, smirking at me while toying with her mother’s official photographic camera.

I felt really guilty for causing Alyssa to break yet another of her mother’s rules, as I guessed that she was a very rebellious daughter.  But still, the pressure was too great, and I found myself dressed in a very elaborate dress which probably cost more than the average person made in a year.  

After fumbling with it for ten minutes(at least,) Lyssa turned the wind machine on, and I was in model mode.  I posed several different poses, with Lyssa mumbling encouragement under her breath.  I was prepared to do the same for her, yet she continued snapping away, so I continued posing for her.  

Soon I began stepping out of my comfort zone, and before I knew it, I was grabbing several props laying around and posing with them.  

Eventually Lyssa got sick of shooting me, and she collapsed on a nearby couch.  I made her swear that she would delete the photos before her mom saw them, and she relented.

“Come on!  Let’s go get some ice cream!”  I said, brilliantly coming up with the idea.  So I practically dragged her all of the way to the kitchen, even though I had no idea where it was.  

Author's Note:     Hey all!  Here you go!  I hope you enjoy this!  How were your easter's?  I sat on my butt all weekend, and the one time that I did get up, I hurt myself.   So, I just got one more excuse to lay on my butt!  Which is fine with me, and probably you, as it means that I update more.  Ha!  So, have you all eaten all of your chocolate yet?  I have eaten soooooooo much!

Love, Hannah

P.S.  Look at the picture on the side.  It's a hint for the sixth chapter..... think! Guess down below.  Think! Think!  Think!  Ha ha... I feel like Pooh Bear.  But could there possibly be a new character entering the scene soon?  Maybe......