Chapter 4

TRIS POV

I have to get my mind off of everything.

The ugly fight between Christina and I has had me in a foul mood all week, but I will not let it bring me down tonight. Because tonight, I am going clubbing to forget about it.

And this time, I want to do it alone. Nobody will be coming with me, except the friends I am meeting up with, of course. No bodyguard this time.

That means that I have to sneak out.

I have a better chance of subtly slipping out of my house this time around because I am leaving in the middle of the night, as opposed to sneaking out at the crack of dawn. I doubt that Four will be close to waking up at this hour as he was before.

Finishing my touch-up of mascara, I turn off the light in my bathroom and grab my miniature wallet—which is the perfect size to fit in my back pocket—off the counter. I do a quick glance around the room to make sure I have everything, and when I am satisfied I head to my bedroom door.

Stealthily, I turn the handle, almost breathing a sigh of relief when it barely makes any sound but then realizing that I will just make additional noise if I do so. As I carefully push the door open, I take unhurried, silent steps. I am so quiet that I can't even hear my own footsteps, but it could be the pounding in my ears that masks them. I am so close to the stairs, just a few more seconds—

"Tris," Four singsongs behind me.

I let out a frustrated groan and sag against the wall next to me in defeat. Really? Again?

"Okay seriously, how is your hearing that good?" I ask, honestly wanting to know his secret.

He ignores my question, instead asking me his own as he walks closer to me. "Where could you possibly be heading at one o' clock in the morning?" He seems annoyed that I would wake him up this early. I didn't mean to!

I purse my lips, not wanting to tell him. But is there a chance that he would maybe go to the club with me? It seems slim, but I don't have to reveal the underage part I guess. He will never know, and therefore he is required to come with me since I want to go.

"I'm going to a club," I say firmly, leaving no room for argument.

He stares down at me as he steps even closer, so that our bodies are practically touching. His eyes look like they have even more depth in the darkness. My breathing becomes labored at his close proximity, and not because he is intimidating.

"Oh, yeah?" His voice is low and tantalizing. "Do they serve alcohol there? Do you have to be twenty-one to get in?" What is he, my father?

I gulp, wondering how he isn't flustered in this situation. Probably because while he is sexy and secretive, I am small and unattractive, able to be easily overpowered. "No," I lie, my voice much too breathy for my liking.

He reaches around me, not touching me, and it is agonizing. I don't feel his hands on my waist or lower back like I expect. I am confused for a moment and wonder if he is going to do something strange like grab my butt until I feel my wallet slide out of my back pocket.

"Give me that!" I whine, trying to jump and grab it from his hand, which holds it high above our heads. It is no use; I'm too short.

Four snatches it away from my prying hands. He opens it and pulls out the card that has false information on it along with my picture. "Hmm...why do you have a fake ID, then, princess?"

"Don't call me that." I run a hand through my hair and blow out a heavy breath. Looks like I won't be having any fun tonight.

Finally, he hands the wallet back to me, but he makes me a deal as he does so. "If you go back to bed and don't attempt to sneak out again, I won't tell your parents."