Chapter 17

TRIS POV

"Okay, fair warning: I haven't been here in a while, and I didn't exactly have the best choice in decorations," Tobias says over his shoulder as he fumbles with his keys to unlock the door of his apartment.

I just laugh off his admission. His home could be a dilapidated shack or his car, and I wouldn't mind in the slightest. Sometimes I think he still believes that he needs to be presented better for me because my family is wealthy. I hope he lets go of that.

Opening the door and walking inside, he looks around the room self-consciously. When he steps aside to let me in, I shut the door behind me and kick off my shoes next to his before scanning the apartment.

It only has three rooms: a living room, a kitchen, and a bathroom. His queen-sized bed is stationed in the living room and cornered by two walls. In front of the bed is a small two-person couch placed in front of a TV on a coffee table. The kitchen is more like a kitchenette and is adjoined with the living room with a bar as its table. The bathroom is separated by a couple walls, and that's about it. There is a closet though, its purpose unknown. Each wall is a plain white and not decorated.

It demonstrates who he is as a person: simple and neat and willing to give up every possible comfort for those he loves.

"Sorry," he apologizes profusely, bending down to pick up a spare t-shirt, which he then carries over to the closet. The closet turns out to be where the washer and drier are stacked, and he stuffs the black shirt in the washer before turning back to me. "I swear, I never leave stuff around until someone comes over. Which is like never, thank God."

I chuckle. "Tobias, it's fine. I think your apartment is perfect," I try to convince him.

It is a cute little living space, but he is a tall guy, and this probably seems cramped to him. I certainly am not used to anything like this, so I can't help but see this as a huge sacrifice on his part.

He itches the back of his neck, seemingly flustered and embarrassed by how small and unexciting his apartment is. It was probably all he could afford while paying his mother's bills without a steady career, and if anything it is pitiful, definitely not something to frown upon.

"Hey." I walk over to him, placing my hands on either side of his face. "I like it. You shouldn't be ashamed around me, especially not because of something like this."

His lips twitch up in a smile, which he masks. He lowers my wrists and holds them down between us and says, "I need to tell you something. I guess that's why I brought you here in the first place. I thought we should be alone."

I nod, silently bubbling with excitement. Today could be the day he finally tells me the rest. About who he is, about everything he went through, about the good, the bad, the ugly, and everything in between.

"Um..." He looks around for somewhere to sit, skipping over the couch and mumbling disgustedly about the few holes it has before leading me over to his bed. He sits down on the navy sheets and pats the space next to him to signal that I should sit there. I do.

"It's time I told you about my childhood. And more," he says cautiously. I celebrate in my mind but keep a straight face. And then he chuckles softly. "I don't even know where to start."

I set my hand on his thigh. "Take your time." Although I am glad that he is finally opening up to me all the way, I don't want to scare him off. I don't want him to hurt over this. If he needs even more time, I will give it to him because I know this must not be easy for him.

Tobias clears his throat before beginning. "As you know, I grew up in a humble household as an only child with two parents. What you don't know is why my life was terrible, and who my father is."