Chapter 14

TRIS POV

It is summer again.

Usually I don't enjoy summer—the heat combined with boredom tends to be a turn off—but this year is different.

This year I have a boyfriend, and my brother is permanently returning home from college, at least until he can get a job. There are plans to look forward to. I have a feeling that this summer is going to be a blast.

And is there a better way to kick off the summer than taking a yacht out to the ocean? I think not.

I will admit that it is annoying that my parents finally have time to spend with me and decide to invite a few of their politician buddies to chill along with us, but who cares? I've got a delicious lemonade in my hand, and I am standing next to my secret boyfriend while they all chat about boring politics. Lame for them; I plan on having fun today.

I am especially excited for the ball my parents are hosting at our mansion tonight. Hundreds of government officials will be coming, along with their significant others, and this time I won't feel left out because I have one. Tobias isn't too ecstatic because, as he puts it, "Dancing isn't my strong suit." But I think I will be able to get him to loosen up.

Speaking of Tobias, he kisses my cheek when my parents aren't looking and whispers, "You look great in that bikini."

I used to be nervous when he gave me compliments like that; after Peter tried to force me into things, I became wary of any guy that said nice comments about me or my body. But I am no longer afraid because I have become comfortable enough with Tobias. I trust him completely.

But that doesn't mean I am any better at taking compliments. Blushing, I nudge his chest and tell him, "Stop. My parents are right there."

We both look over our shoulders to see them preoccupied with entertaining the other ten people they brought along.

"They're not looking," he counters.

"Their friends are! They think you're just my bodyguard, remember?" He doesn't seem to care.

I set my ice cold drink on a nearby table and stretch while yawning widely.

"How are you tired right now?" he teases. "I'm hyper. We should go for a swim."

"Seriously?" I laugh at his antics. He is practically bouncing with the itch to do something fun, which is unusual for him—normally he is broody and acts more like an adult than he should, given how young he is. And although I don't exactly feel like swimming or getting wet in general, I have to admit that the navy ocean below looks tempting, since I have begun to sweat due to the scorching sun.

"Yeah. Ready?" I tilt my head at him, not knowing what he is planning, so I am taken aback when he pushes me off the yacht in a space where there isn't a rail guard.

Letting out a scream, I plummet into the water below, flailing on the way down. Fortunately, I turn around just in time to see when I will hit the water, so I am able to hold my breath and not get any water in my nose or mouth. Still, I come up from the water with a scowl on my face, and my frown deepens when I hear Tobias laughing on the boat above me.

"Not funny!" I shout to him.

"Hilarious!" he calls back at me.

"Why don't you get your ass down here then?!"

He says something that sounds like, "You asked for it..." I try to swim back, predicting that he will attempt to land on me or at least close enough to scare me, but I barely end up moving because of the movement of the waves. So when he jumps off the boat and looks as if he is going to hit me, I scream again.