Chapter 9

TOBIAS POV

I wake up at ten o'clock in the morning with Tris pulled tightly to my chest. Her back is to me, and my arms are wrapped around her middle. She clutches my right arm, which she rests her head on, and it brings me to the conclusion that her mind must have been plagued with nightmares all night.

I slept like a baby though, so I would have been unaware if she woke up. I didn't even have my usual nightmare occurrence.

Strange.

I brush a stray hair off her face and watch her lips turn up slightly in her sleep before returning to their original position. She looks so comfortable and at ease that I don't have the heart to move her. So I lie there for a few extra minutes, with my eyes shut, relaxing with her.

Carefully untangling myself from her, I slide out of the bed and steady myself when I sway on my feet groggily. It would not be wise to stay here for long; Tris's parents said they would return from their business trip at eight in the morning, so they must be home by now. I don't want them to come looking for Tris, wondering why she isn't at breakfast, and find me sleeping in the same bed as their daughter.

I am really unprofessional.

Is it bad that I don't actually care?

But I should. Oh, I should. I cannot continue to be this close to Tris, as much as I like her.

I am reminded of this when I return to my own bed, lying down with a yawn and reaching over for my phone. Pressing the home button, I get the rude awakening of an email from Max.

It is titled, "Report." It makes me squeeze my eyes shut.

Begrudgingly, I slide the notification over and scan my thumbprint to open the email. I begin to read hesitantly, becoming more and more stressed out after each line:

"Four,

I am emailing to check in on how your mission has been going. You have not submitted any information regarding your task for over two months, which is unusual for you.

In case you have forgotten, your mission is to infiltrate the Prior household, assassinate the daughter, Beatrice Prior, and report back on security measures on the grounds for future reference.

But I do not think you have forgotten, and I am not aware of why you have been silent lately. If there is something you need to tell me, please email me back or drop by.

You are one of our best assassins, and I do not doubt your ability to get a job done. I am not accusing you of anything, just checking in. I hope you understand.

Max"

With a loud sigh, I toss my phone to the other side of the bed, pressing my hand to my forehead irritatedly—then I wince because I accidentally touch the cut from the knife that sliced the skin above my eyebrow last night.

If this is going to work out, if I am going to avoid assassinating Tris, then I am going to have to stall the Dauntless leaders. I am going to have to report back to Dauntless today and convince Max that I am not failing to do my job so that he can spread the word to the other leaders.

But then what? Even if I do manage to worm my way out of killing her temporarily, I will still end up killing her or getting killed myself. There is only one way out of Dauntless, after all, and it is death.

But maybe not. Maybe I can flee the country and run and hide for a few years until they give up on me.

However, Tris would still die. They would take her out. This was only going to end one way.