Chapter 2

Around half an hour before the first guests started arriving, Danya was seated at one of the long tables in the dining hall and told to stay put as the house slaves set things up around him.

He had never felt so uncomfortable in his entire life. Baine had done as Mrs Moore had asked and scrounged up clothes that fit her specifications from some of the bed slaves rented to entertain the guests. A leather collar shifted against his throat every time he swallowed and the only other item of clothing he wore was a strip of cloth that tied around his waist and just barely made him decent by anyone's definition of the word. He knew what he looked like, and it wasn't a finely bred Companion.

At least he was no longer the only one at the table once guests began to seat themselves, but he still stood out far more than he would have liked. Most other slaves knelt on the floor or stood behind their masters, ready to serve, and none of them had been dressed with as little subtlety as Danya. He kept his hands folded in his lap and his eyes on the table in front of him as a man sat down next to him.

He could feel the man's presence, his energy, a solid force just slightly too far away for Danya to get a proper taste of it. Still, it gave Danya something steady to focus on and helped him to stabilise himself in that way.

"They sat me next to a slave," the man commented to his friend. "Is that supposed to be an insult?"

"He's probably somebody's pet," Danya heard the man's friend reply. His energy was loose and in constant motion. Not in the least relaxing, but not unpleasant.

"There's no one with him."

"I don't know, Simon. Maybe he's supposed to be your entertainment for the evening."

"That would be insulting."

Danya shut his eyes and focused on his breathing. He had always hated parties, but at least he had known how to comport himself when he was acting as merchandise for Milaine House. Now he wasn't even sure what he was supposed to be.

Danya couldn't see Simon with his eyes shut, didn't hear him move, but he could feel him get closer. The very edge of the energy Simon gave off was just barely within reach, and goosebumps prickled down Danya's spine as he eagerly drank it in. Danya could barely resist the magnetic pull of his body.

"I know you can hear me," Simon murmured.

Danya sat up straight as his eyes flew open. He had almost forgotten himself. He tried to regain his composure, but he could feel his face heating.

"That was mean," Simon's friend said, but he was struggling not to laugh.

"Sorry." Simon leant back in his chair, and Danya finally braved a glance at him. He had a broad build and a strong, angular face with thick eyebrows and dark brown hair cut military short. Danya could only meet the intensity of his deep brown eyes for a second before he had to drop his gaze again. "So, why did they sit you next to me?"

"I'm sorry, sir," Danya said to the tablecloth, "I wasn't told. I'm sure they can move me somewhere else if it bothers you."

Simon dismissed the idea with a wave of his hand. "No, I don't really mind. It just seemed odd."

Simon's friend leant forward to look at Danya. He had darker skin and rich, chocolate hair that hung in curls just past his ears. "Can you do any magic?"

"I'm a Companion, sir. I can't do much more than heat your drink."

"It's wine."

"Chill your drink?"

"It's red wine. It's meant to be served at room temperature."

Danya shrugged. "Then I'm afraid I can do nothing for you, sir."