Chapter 16

The next morning Danya awoke feeling amazing.

His naked body was pressed against Simon's, for one thing, which was the best start he'd ever had to a day. But it was more than that. More than the emotional. He felt strong and confident and powerful. He could feel the energy moving beneath his skin in gentle waves, warm and tingly. He hadn't known his body could contain such power.

Simon let out a long, slow breath that tickled Danya's neck and stretched out. "Morning."

Danya propped himself up on an elbow so that he could see Simon better. When their eyes met, it felt like they were truly looking at one another for the first time. "Good morning."

Simon tucked the blanket back around Danya's shoulder where it had been starting to fall off. "How're you?"

"Good. You?"

Simon smiled. "Yeah. Good."

Gaira's voice carried over the stacks of supplies. "Are you two finally awake?"

They had a quick breakfast of some kind of soft grain soaked in water. It tasted of very little, but it filled Danya up quickly. Nobody commented on how unnecessarily closely he was sitting to Simon.

Once they had finished eating, Gaira led them outside to Noni.

"Ah, there you two are." Noni set a box of nails she'd been counting aside on a tree stump as she turned to them. "Simon, have you ever cut down a tree before?"

"Yes, I've had some experience."

"Good." Noni pointed behind her to a group of mages gathered near the treeline. "Go and join Sharn's group. They'll put you to work."

As Simon obeyed Danya went to follow him, but Noni stopped him with a hand on his shoulder. "I have something else for you to do."

Danya watched Simon approach the mages. The looks they were giving him weren't the most friendly. "They won't be unkind to him, will they?"

"They won't hurt him. I can't make any promises about their manners."

"Well, I don't suppose I can guarantee Simon's, either." Danya stopped worrying over Simon and turned his full attention to Noni. "What did you want me to do?"

"I'm told you have a surprising proficiency with battle magic considering you've had no formal training."

"I'm not sure how impressive my skills are, but I suppose from the perspective that I ought to have none at all any amount of ability is notable."

"Mm. It's clear you have potential. I'd like to see you meet it." She nodded to Gaira, who'd been waiting silently behind him up until now. "You'll be training with Gaira today."

"Yup, and I've got a full day planned for you," Gaira said as Noni went back to counting nails. "You all balanced out properly?"

"Yes, I'm very good," Danya told Gaira as he followed her towards a clearing on the other side of the houses.

She shot him a grin over her shoulder. "Yeah, I thought so. Did Simon lie to us about your relationship, or was last night something new?"

"Ah, yes." Danya dropped his gaze, but he was smiling. "That was new."

"Well, congratulations. I'd ask if you're happy with all that or whatever, but I've seen the way you've been looking at him all morning so I think your feelings on the matter are pretty obvious." She turned to face him and squared her stance. "Ready to get started?"