Chapter 18

As soon as they were back at the camp, Noni started shouting orders. She wanted everyone inside the main building. She wanted everyone accounted for.

They sat down around the table as the others crowded into the room around them. Danya sat as close as he could get against Simon's side, drawing in desperately needed energy. They pushed some of the chairs aside so that Atticus would have room to stand at the table.

"It will have come from the human side of the border," Atticus said. "I am quite sure of that. Our side is too heavily guarded near the border for a nest to form."

Simon pulled a square of paper out from his jacket pocket and unfolded it on the table to reveal a map. "All the known nests in the area are marked on this map. I think I have a fairly good idea where that thing came from."

Noni sighed. "Lainton."

Simon tapped it on his map. "It's the closest nest, one of the biggest, and we've been through there recently. The vampire followed our scent."

Gaira swore. "Think there'll be more?"

"Well, they—"

Sharn burst into the building, breathing heavily, her face twisted with panic. "Noni... we can't find Lynna."

Noni launched to her feet, paced forward, and then didn't seem to know what to do. She rubbed a hand over her face. "Search the area in groups, but don't go far from camp."

"They'll have taken her," Simon said. Faces turned to look at Simon, hating him for that simple truth. He shook his head. "She's too smart to run off, and she can't defend herself. You should do a sweep of the area, but you won't find her."

Gaira had also started heading for the door, but she hesitated as well now. "So how are we getting her back?"

Simon tapped the map again. "We know where the nest is. We know they'll keep her alive for her blood. If we want her back, we're going to have to go and get her."

Noni sent the mages out on their search with a wave of her hand and reluctantly returned to her seat. "Attack the nest?"

"Yes," Simon said. "My unit should still be there. They should have continued scouting the area without me. If you put your trust in me, we can do this together. We can get her back."

"You think these humans will work with us? That they won't report us the first chance they get?"

"I trust them." Danya pushed his exhausted body up so that he could look at Noni properly. "I'm sure Simon would tell you himself that they're not all perfect, because his standards are high. But... they are kind and they are loyal to Simon and the values he insists on. Every one of them has been unwaveringly kind to me."

"If it makes you feel better, we'll give them no opportunity to betray us," Simon offered. "We'll head over tonight and attack the nest together tomorrow morning in mixed groups. I don't believe any of them would be disloyal, but you'll be ready to leave before they have any chance to be."

Noni thought for a moment, and then nodded slowly. "Acceptable. How many humans are in your unit?"

"Including me? Six."

"Okay. I'll arrange a team."

Atticus' hooves clacked against the floor. "And I will arrange transport to get you there quickly and safely."

Noni inclined her head towards him. "Thank you, Atticus."

"Be safe," he told her before awkwardly squeezing his way back out of the door.

Noni turned back to Simon. "I need you to take care of Danya now."

It took Simon a moment to understand her meaning. He scratched the side of his head and looked away. "I'm not sure we really can, ah... when he's this exhausted."