Chapter 19

Danya woke up late the next morning, his naked body practically humming where it pressed against Simon's. He'd never felt so alive, so powerful. A month ago he couldn't have imagined walking willingly into a fight like this, but whatever today threw at him he was sure that he could take it. That they could take it, together.

Simon yawned and pulled Danya closer as he stretched out. "Morning."

"Mm," Danya hummed against Simon's throat.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like my whole body is made of electricity, but in a good way."

"Huh." Simon's fingertips brushed down Danya's spine. "What do you think would happen if we did it again?"

"I don't know, but I think I would like to find out."

They didn't have time to actually have sex in the way they had the previous night, but with hands and mouths and body against body they got themselves to climax again.

"You all right?" Simon asked as Danya lay shaking in his arms afterwards, though he sounded a lot less worried than he had when the same thing had happened the previous night.

"Yes," Danya said. "Whatever happens today... I'm ready."

#

By the time they got up, Hamish and Lucas were already awake and sitting at the kitchen table, eating bowls of stew Cailan had heated up for them. Danya went to serve himself, but Cailan waved him away so he sat down at the table and waited while Cailan got him a bowl.

"Lucas is going to be on our team, okay?" Hamish said. "We bonded last night."

Simon grabbed an apple from the bowl on the kitchen counter and bit into it, thinking as he chewed. "Okay, we can make that work. Danya, too."

"Yeah, I figured," Hamish said. "This is really going to be a thing, huh? With the mages. This is a permanent decision."

Simon sat down at the kitchen table and rolled his apple in his hand. "I know I've put you in a difficult position here, but if this isn't what you want, please don't feel obligated to do it. I'll be fine on my own. Or—" He looked at Danya. "I won't be on my own at all, of course. We could still find ways to see one another."

"What? No, there's no way you're having a better adventure than me. I'm in this with you, one hundred percent. It's just..." He sighed and leant his head back. "Sudden, I guess. Big and different."

"But better," Simon promised. "Good."

"Yeah, I can see the truth of that burning in your eyes." Hamish smiled. "Okay. Let's do this."

#

Once everyone was awake and fed, they gathered back in the communal area.

Simon spread his map of the tunnels out on the coffee table and leant forward over it. "Okay, the plan is to split up into three teams of four."

Gaira raised her hand. "Yeah. Wouldn't it be safer to stick together?"

"Might be, but the tunnels are just too vast. If we don't find Lynna before nightfall, there's a good chance they'll move her somewhere else and then we won't see her again. The tunnels are wide enough for two people standing shoulder to shoulder, so four people with two facing either direction is the most efficient use of fighting power."

"Mm. Okay."

"Good," Simon said. "Hamish and I will take Danya and Lucas, if nobody has any objections?"