Ch 9

"No! PLEASE! STAY WITH ME!" "Look at me. It's ok." "How can you say that?! Our child is dead, and you're about to join him! How can you say that? How?" The demon sounded so defeated in that moment, his mate dying in his arms with a stab wound in her chest. Hot tears tracked his face as he rocked back and forth on the desert battlefield, surrounded by countless dead and dying bodies, their young son among them.

The woman in his arms smiled brightly. "Because we will meet again, my love." Before he knew it, she had taken her last  rattling breath before stilling in his arms. "L-Ladybird?" No answer. He gently shook her. "Ladybird?!", he called again, a little louder. He couldn't feel anything in his shock, then his blood boiled. He tilted his head back and wailed in grief and fury.

Dark energy pulsed around him as he set his sights on the one responsible for the destruction of his family and home. He gently laid his deceased wife down, and approached the remaining soldiers. He hissed,"You had best kill me now if you want to live." He had said it quietly, but only his target heard him. The Mau's energy pulsed, and foggy shadows washed the area in the black of night instead of the current noontime daylight, swallowing the Mau and the army.

The shadows grew frigid, and his prey panicked. The demon would say his prey had good reflexes as he knew they couldn't see him, but the sword decayed into rust and dust as soon as it touched the Mau. Now defenseless, the human crawled away. "WHAT ARE YOU!?", it called pitifully. "I told you to kill me.", he growled before lunging and slowly tearing apart the human.

Ligaments stretched and snapped. Bones broke. Muscles were torn and skin was turned to ribbons until he finally got to the organs...and grinned. He reached a clawed hand inside his prey's chest, and touched it's heart. The human's eyes went wide as he felt his heart turn to dust, the rest of his body following soon after. Mission accomplished, the demon saw a sword not far from him, and reached for it.

-----------------

Adrien woke with a start, grabbing his chest as tears streamed down his face. He could still feel the cold steal sliding into his flesh. Once he realized he was ok, he shot up and was in Marinette's room before he could think.

Fortunately, she was still asleep. Unfortunately, she was restless. He climbed the ladder to her bed, heart still pounding and yesterday forgotten. The blonde looked over her twisting and turning form. Seeing a spot big enough for him, he squeezed in beside her. She curled into him almost instantaneously, and he wrapped his arms around her. Breathing in her scent, feeling her heartbeat and warmth, it calmed him.

----------------------

She woke comfortably the next morning. She felt warm. Loved. She snuggled into whatever was cuddling with her. She fully awoke when she felt a puff of air on her cheek. Her eyes snapped open. Tracing her gaze up from the naked chest she was face to face with, her eyes landed on a certain someone's sleeping, tear stained face.