the s e v e n t e e n t h letter

Dear Hunter,

That day, I arrived early at the library to get a table and sort out all of the stuff from my schoolbag, or something along those lines. It wasn't long before you were outside, and I distinctly remember the way you pulled your helmet off your head and shook our your hair as you pushed open the doors. I smiled so vastly upon seeing you, the way I wanted to every time you decided to brighten my day with your joyous form.

It struck me as odd at the time that you didn't have your books with you, and when I asked you about it you told me that you'd forgotten them. You seemed completely unfazed by it. I was stupid to believe that story — who forgets to bring their study materials to a study session? Damnit, Maia.

After that, you just watched me work for around twenty minutes, and it was extremely uncomfortable despite being with you. Then you asked me, there and then, if I wanted to go to prom with you.

I didn't understand. Why would someone like you want to go to prom with me? Hadn't you already said you were going with Ashlynn? But beneath my confusion was a blinding sense of euphoria that consumed my senses and pushed the word 'yes' from between my lips.

In the long term, I think it was a good decision.

All my love, always,
Maia.