Chapter 13

"Nicky!!!" Tay squealed when I got to the diner. She ran up to me from where she was standing in front of Steve's door, wrapping her little arms around my legs.

"Tay!" I exclaimed, completely off-guard. I looked around for the child's mother.

"Tay! I told you to sit on that stool and not move!" I heard Jaime's voice scold. She appeared in front of me, having just walked into the kitchen from Steve's office.

"What's Tay doing here?" I asked.

"Electricity went out at the daycare. So I had to bring her with me," she told me.

"Why didn't you just call me?" I asked.

"Because I didn't want to bother you," she answered.

"Jaime..." I said.

"Nicky..." she replied. We looked at each other for a moment longer before I broke her gaze. I reached down and picked Tay up, propping her on my hip. I wheezed a little bit; the girl was getting big.

"You know, I'm on break now. I don't do anything all day," I said.

"Yes, you do," she said.

"Like what?" I asked.

"You sleep," she answered.

"For a few hours," I replied.

"That's better than nothing, right?" she said. I rolled my eyes and looked at Tay.

"Would you rather hang out with me all day or be at the diner?" I asked her.

"Both!" she giggled. I chuckled and kissed her cheek.

"What were you talking to Steve about?" I asked Jaime. She immediately blushed.

"What?" she asked.

"Oh my God. Spill," I said.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, feigning ignorance.

"Jaime Wagener. You better tell me what's going on or else..." I started.

"Or else what? You'll glare at me? You'll ignore me? I think I'll live," she retorted. I did just that. I glared at her. Then I had an idea.

"Tay, what were Steve and Jaime talking about?"I asked the four year old who I had caught eavesdropping when I walked in.

"They were talking about eating dinner tonight!" she exclaimed. I looked at Jaime, whose cheeks were flaming red at the moment. She shot her daughter a glare and I smirked.

"I knew it! He asked you out!" I cried.

"Would you keep your voice down!" she hissed. She drew me closer to her by the arm, her expression serious.

"He didn't ask me out. I asked him," she said. I raised my eyebrows, impressed. Although it wasn't surprising, since Jaime was one to take initiative.

"And?" I asked.

"He said right now wasn't the best time," she sighed. I felt my jaw drop.

"What?! I can't believe he rejected you! I'm going to go talk to him," I said, putting Tay down and starting to walk towards his office. Jaime pulled me back, though.

"Don't. I get where he's coming from. He's really stressed about this whole diner fiasco," she said.

"It still hasn't improved?" I asked.

"It's stagnant," she answered. I sighed.

"Damn. I really like this place. I hate seeing it suffer," I said.