Chapter:16

I watched as Colt came to the door and stood there out of the corner of my eye. "Do you think I can ride later?" Jase asked. "You need to rest up before deciding on if you can ride." I said before letting him lay there. My uncle left the doorway.

I followed him to the table he sat down waiting on me. "Rylin. Do you honestly like that boy?" He asked quietly. I nodded. "What is it about him that you do like?" He asked. "His character, the way he cares back." I said.

"How much is he like his father?" He asked. "He threw himself between his father and I trying to keep him from hurting me. Max showed up last night just when they were handing out the checks. Max found me first then started saying all of these off things the Jase came up and stood between us and gave me time to get away.

"I could see the hate in Jase's eyes for that man. Much close to the hate I see in your eyes for either of them." I said. "So he'd rather..." "He'd rather be beaten black and blue with blood covering himself than allow his father to even get close to me." I said lowly.

"So you want to keep him around?" He asked. "Please? He hasn't hurt me and plans not to. He's been hurt too many times to try and hurt someone else unless they've already tried to hurt him." I said. Pleading to my uncle. Yup I've got to convince him.

"So no sex or anything like that?" He asked. I shook my head. "His father made him terrified of that. I've already built up trust with him to the point where I'm the only one he trusts besides his grandparents." I said. He nodded.

"How bad was the damage?" He asked. "Multiple bruises, cuts and a gash in his abdomen." I said. "Max doesn't like playing fair. Will use anything to get an upper hand in any fight." Colt told me.

I heard the bed squeak and got up. He was trying to get up. "You need to lay back down." I said. He shook his head. "No." He rasped. I put pressure on his shoulders trying to get him to lay back down.

"No. I need to get up." He argued. "Jase. Look at me." I said quietly. He looked at me. "You need to rest. I know you want to get up off this bed but you need to lay here for a few. Ok? I'll bring you a drink and some food would that work?" I asked him. He nodded.

"Could I lay down on the couch?" He asked. I nodded. He started to stand. Then moved to the doorway I was right behind him as he attempted to get to the couch. Once he was there he lowered himself onto it.

"You said you'd lay down." I said. "Once second." He said between breaths. He then laid back catching his breath again. I set a glass of water next to him. "You know we have no food in the fridge." I said.

"Yeah. Because we didn't restock this time." He rasped. I said down near his head. "What do you want for lunch?" I asked him. "What fast food places are there around?" He asked.

"Micky D's, Wendy's, subway, sonic, KFC, Taco Bell, then we could order pizza from Pizza Hut." I said. "No McDonald's. Not in the mood for Taco Bell. Don't want a sub sandwich." He said.

"That only leaves Wendy's, sonic, KFC, and Pizza Hut." I said. He put his hands above his head. "If you go to sonic could you get me a milkshake?" He asked. "Would that work for you?" I asked him. He nodded. "Yeah. My usual." He said. "What kind of shake?" I asked him.

"Anything other than chocolate with peanut butter." He said. "Colt would you like anything to eat?" I asked my uncle. "Yeah. You know what I eat. And to drink sweet tea." He said leaning back in the seat.

I nodded before leaving them together.

Jase's POV

She left me with her uncle. How pathetic. I wish I was in better shape already. With how sore I am I don't think I can ride at the next one. Maybe, maybe not who knows. I closed my eyes trying to relax.

I finally gave up and looked at the man sitting at the table. He was built better than my father was. No doubt stronger and quicker. I was scared of him to be honest. Man do I wish she'd come right back here quickly.

I finally fell asleep on the couch.