Chapter:22

October 31

My youngest cousins ran around the barn while the older ones helped clean the barn. Jase had became a big help around here. Colt had loosened up about him and welcomed him.

Mr. Dowagar had gotten a hold of Jase to see if he could haul bulls for high school rodeos around the state to start. He asked if I would be alright with it. Of course I had agreed.

I got up on a ladder and up close to the ceiling of the giant barn. "Ry. Switch me places. If you fall you could get seriously hurt." Jase said from below. "I'm fine Jase." I said as I reached for a certain hook. "Rylin. That's high enough. Don't you dare go any higher." Jase yelled. I took another step.

"Rylin listen to me." He shouted. I tried to reach and partially slipped. Boots shuffled below. "I'm good." I said. "Good now get down before you really fall." Jase said. I took another step up finally reaching the hook.

My hand slipped.

Jase's POV

I moved quickly catching her. I hit the straw hard with her on top of me. She held on tightly to me. "I've got ya." I said holding her to me. Boots pounded the concrete. I guarantee we both had the breath knocked out of us. I could tell she was shaking.

"I've got ya Rylin. Your good." I said kissing the top of her head. I stood up with her in my arms. "Is she alright?" "What happened?" Her family went on and on asking questions. "She fell from the top of the ladder. She's shaken from the fall." I told them.

I walked out of the stall probably bruised from catching her. "I've got her. Just catch your breath." Logan said taking her from me. Her elbow had hit where my ribs were still healing. I'm sure they were now cracked or broken.

"Might need to take a trip to the ER after that." Buck said. "I'd say yes to that." I said leaning against the stall. Rylin was unresponsive and still shaking.

After getting to the hospital Rylin was carried inside. I walked in trying not to hold my side. She was immediately checked out. Once they had her settled in I went up. It was over an hour before they could get me an x-ray.

Two broken ribs and two cracked. I was told to take it easy and rest up. "Got lucky this time." Zach said sitting in a chair next to me. "I could have lost her." He sniffled. I moved over next to him. My side burning from moving.

"Thank you Jase for catching her. She would have been dead if you hadn't been there." He said. "I wouldn't have been there if she hadn't been her stubborn self and went against her cousin and family to see the goodness in me." I said.

"She needs someone who will be the one to convince her not to. She's stubborn headed. Just like her good for nothing mother." He said. "I'd say she gets it from the man and family that taught her not to give up or give in."  I said to him.

He looked at me and smiled. "I sure hope she's alright." He said. "I do too."