Lending aide

"Wait Tulsi, mother wanted you to have this for being so kind and helping her with the gardening." I stopped gathering my belongings and took the package the young child handed me.

"Tell her thank you and I will be back around next week if your father has not returned." The child nodded and smiled. I placed the package in my bag and waved as I walked toward the street.

I loved strolling through our quaint little village.  The streets were usually spilling over with happy residents. Walking past the bakery and the thrift store I waved at the other pedestrians then stopped at the library.

Nodding at the old librarian I made my way to my favorite reading nook and set my bag on the chair and went in search of the book I found several days ago. I usually don't feed into old fairy tales but something about this story drew me in. A wolf that pretends to be a woman, I mean really. The girl couldn't tell it wasn't her grandmother. What was wrong with her.

Anyway I pulled the book off the shelf plus the one I hid behind it and retreated to my spot.

'Werewolves, myth or legend?' For some reason the thought of a wolf turning into a human intrigues me. Flipping through the first few chapters I thought this was a waste of time until the words 'werewolf, curse or gift' caught my attention.

Scanning the next few paragraphs I slammed the book closed and quickly grabbed my bag and went to the checkout counter. After checking out the book I dropped it in my bag and started towards home.

••••••

One block from my house I was halted by a neighbor asking for my help. Sighing I agreed and followed her inside.
"Thank you Tulsi, I can't do a dang thing with this cast on my arm," She waved the broken arm around in haste.

"How much longer until you get it removed?" I asked politely reaching on the top shelf and grabbing the big bowl and placing it on the counter. Mixing the ingredients that were scattered around the counter then preheating the oven.

"Oh that dang doctor says it has to stay on for another few weeks," she huffed. "Guess I'm getting clumsy in my old age. I made sure to move that table and chair though."

"When do the grandkids arrive?" I finished mixing the dough and followed her directions and placed the bowl in the fridge to sit overnight.

"Tomorrow morning, I am excited to see how much they have grown. You know they are almost seventeen now and both have college planned out already."

"I can't believe it's been that long. Wow how time flies by." I wanted kids but unfortunately I haven't found the right man to settle down with. No one in our little village has gained my interest. I guess I'm a little picky but I want someone that will stand with me and support my opinions and decisions. Not someone that wants to demand things and tell me what to do or say.

Sighing I tidied up the kitchen then went in search of my bag. "Here dearie, I had to have the club help me but it's all finished."

"You didn't have to, it could have waited until you were able to finish it yourself."

"It was no problem, the ladies enjoy quilting. Plus I promised it to you months ago." Taking the folded quilt I placed it inside my ever growing bag and hugged the neighbor bye.

"I will have  the kids run over some cookies 🍪 after they arrive."

"Can't wait." Once again on my way home I patted my bulging bag. I don't ask for payment when I lend a hand to my neighbors and townsfolk but they always make or bake me something.

Finally spying my little cottage I sped up now in a hurry to get home to shower, eat and sit down with the interesting book I borrowed.

^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for reading!! 😁