The Showdown

Raja, Yimo and Rys were preparing the much needed food and Talan's mom and I started working on the wolf stripping serums. Mrs Julip was on a hushed phone call in the back corner.

After the serums were ready and set aside I pulled out those last bags of herbs I got from the greenhouse. Mixing two together with a little water I poured it into a bottle I labeled 'poison antidote' then in a jar I put the mixed herbs and ointment labeled 'injuries' and the last container read 'emergency only'.

We planned to do the stripping ceremony in the living room because it was bigger but then decided to move it to the back yard. The neighbor that would have been able to see anything is thankfully out of town leaving only Mrs Julips house. The pack has set up a perimeter around the neighborhood with guards to make sure no one wanders to close.

Mounds of food was placed on the tables along with the serum. "You two eat quickly then head back in and rest. Two of elders will be here within the hour and we will start then," with a nod Talan dug into the platters of meat and potatoes. Not really having an appetite I had to force myself to eat one piece of chicken and a little pasta. Talan had two steaks, one whole chicken, a big bowl of pasta and potatoes and was still eating.

Everyone was busy with their own tasks no one noticed me slink inside, or so I thought.  I was warming up some pizza from a few days ago when warm, strong arms wrapped around my waist. I leaned my head back against Talans chest.

"Are you worried? With the elders help and the serum the stripping should be painless and quick."

"No, that's not what has me worried. It's the banishment that scares me," I confessed.

He tuned me around to look at him, "don't worry, the pack is here to make sure no humans come close or get hurt."

"I'm not worried about that. It took a great elder to lock it up once what makes you all think that one can banish it now when no one even believes in the tribune any longer."

"Most packs still are involved with the tribune, ours and just a few others are the only ones that have distanced themselves. Then elders are highly respected and it's a great honor when they visit or call upon you. They only acknowledge superb individuals that show certain abilities."

"So they can do this then?" I asked concerned.

"If Elder Julip says there is another elder strong enough with the power then yes I believe it can be done," he tried reassuring me. At the ding I grabbed my pizza and soda I took from the fridge and  went to living room. Hungry now I scarfed down the pizza and drained the soda.

Talan pulled me next to him on the sofa and I snuggled into his side laying my head on chest. "Get some rest, the time will be upon us soon quicker than you know," he kissed the side of my head and I just nodded, closing my eyes.

What seemed just minutes later I was being shook awake. "We are ready for you know," Talans mom calming stated.

"Okay," I started to wake Talan but she stopped me. "Let him rest a little longer, his ceremony will be more longer and will require much strength and concentration."

I slowly unwrapped myself from Talans side and followed his mom outside to meet the others.

I noticed a man talking with Mrs Julip and as I approached he turned to look at me. I swear he looked just like a picture I once found hidden in a box in my parents closet. I never asked them about the box of weird things but I always wondered why the papers, pictures and items were hidden because they seemed important.

"Aw, we finally meet Tulsi. My name is Hunsen," he held out his hand for me to shake.
I knew it! "Hunsen Little, I know," I politely said while shaking his hand.