interlude (3)

Luhan.

Honestly, I'm not sure why the coach even bothers to get Baekhyun to come for soccer practices anymore. Everyone knows he's overly busy, what with becoming the overall-in-charge for the school's mass volunteering event. Apparently, we were going to hold a bazaar and all proceeds were to be given to five different organisations. Baekhyun really had his hands full trying to arrange and finalise everything.

Besides that, Coach is fairly miffed and thus, made us do more laps around the field.

I groan and drop my duffel bag on the ground, shuffling to the kitchen to make myself something to eat quickly. I had long since run out of proper meals, so it was mostly either cereal or instant rice or noodles. I sniffed when I realised my stock of instant noodles was nowhere to be found. No one who has their head screwed on right would have cold cereal at nine pm so I grumbled my way to the nearest convenience store.

Which was right across the street.

I was greeted by a cold blast of wind as I opened the doors and I grinned. That was absolutely refreshing. As I stood at the entrance, constantly triggering the doorbell to sound, I caught the cashier looking at me funny. I must have looked a mess, what with the mud on my cleats and dirt on my jersey. Not to mention the amount of noise I was generating by simply standing still silently.

I couldn't care less. I was hungry, and I was going to get my instant noodles.

To my utmost shock, there was one pack of instant noodles left. I raced to get it, but a hand calmly prevented me from reaching my goal. I whirled around to see a very frightened boy around my height holding the pack of noodles in his left hand... And a bottle of Sprite balanced on a pack of chips on top of five mini boxes of Choco Pies. Plus a pack of mini marshmallows right at the top.

Well, someone sure is healthy.

It was almost as if he could read my mind. I hadn't the chance to learn his name but he walked off after placing the pack of noodles in my hand and gesturing for me to pay for it first.

I ended up following him to see what he was up to. He grabbed a pack of sausages, a pack of instant rice and sandwich (which he took after seeing it was on sale) along with one egg. Then, this stranger walked off to the counter, with a dopey smile on his face. We paid for our food together and he led me to the tables just outside the convenience store.

"Wait a while, I won't be long." He cheered as he took my noodles and the additional items he purchased earlier, minus the sandwich and onigiri. Wait, I take a double look at the onigiri.

When was that there? Common courtesy escaped me when I picked it up and began ravenously attacking the poor onigiri.

He came back right when I finished it and laughed heartily seeing that his dumpling was gone from sight. "I figured you were hungry, so here you go!" And with a flourish, he presented the most filling meal I had had since my mother last cooked for me three years back.

Note to self: never eat instant ramen without an egg.

Now I know he calls himself Lay and that we have bonded well over me stealing his chips. In my defence, it would have been a disaster if he ate it. Cannibalism is, in fact, illegal and is frowned upon in most countries.

-a week later-

"help me get some cat food?" My mobile phone sounded with a new notification.

Yes, we have already bonded well enough for you to make me serve your cat.