Chapter One: Home

Today was the day. I would finally tell them. All this suffering would end. Probably... I walked downstairs, the stairs creaking underneath my feet. I heard my mother laughing. Perfect, they're in a good mood. I rounded the corner, passing through the empty office and into the living room. We had just moved here, so the room only had a couch and a tv at the opposite side of the room. Both my parents were laughing, enjoying red wine in fancy glasses in the barren room. I tried to be casual, walking up to them calmly. "Hey, mom, dad? I need to tell you something." They both looked up, curious. "So, I've been meaning to say this for a while, but... Well, I can't explain it completely but... The thing is, I feel more like a girl then a boy. I don't like being called a boy, and I want to grow my hair out. I want to try and transition into being a girl. I hope you guys understand." It was out. It felt liberating to finally tell the truth. I pushed my short hair back behind my ear. They both sat in stunned silence. My mom took a shaky breath, and looked to the wineglass in her delicate, pale hands.
"Pack your bags back up," she announced, standing, taking a long gulp of wine.
"Wait, WHAT? Why?" I stepped backwards, my heart racing.
"You're leaving." Her expression was blank. She didn't care about me anymore, that quickly, all her love for me faded. My father nodded. His eyes showed little remorse as well, behind his glasses, his brown eyes seemed empty. I blinked back tears, nodding, head hanging as I walked through the house I barely got to know. I examined the walls carefully, trying to absorb everything, as I knew it would be the last time I ever set eyes on it. The stairs once again creaked under my feet, and the world around me blurred as the tears started falling from my eyes. I had no family near, I knew I would have to live in the streets. I remember that night like it was yesterday. I didn't even have to pack my bag back up, it wasn't even unloaded yet. All I had to do was zip up the small duffel bag walk out the door. I didn't even say goodbye. I knew it would only cause more pain, at least for me. We decided on living in a small apartment in the city, somewhere in New York. I opened a side pocket of my bag, and pulled out a small bag of cashews, a twenty dollar bill falling out before I snatched it off the sidewalk. I was glad that I had packed some snacks and money for the road, if I used them wisely, they could last me a while. I turned around in a full circle, not knowing where to go or even where to start. In just a few minutes, my entire life has changed course. I could only imagine what was to come next...