Chapter Two: On The Road

I look back at the wooden door of the apartment, sad. I kept replaying the scene in my head. I couldn't believe they had acted like that. It wasn't fair... But life isn't fair, I guess. I turned, sighed, and started to walk, desperately trying to leave the past behind me. My heart hurt. I had nowhere to go and no one to go to. I was completely alone for the first time in my life. I was so lost in thought, I tripped over a loose brick in the road and stumbled into a girl with short pink and purple hair. She turned, and I saw she had piercings lining her entire face. Her clothes were ripped and she looked like one of those stereotypical punk girls, though her green eyes were soft and bright.
"I... I'm so, so sorry," I took a step backwards. "I wasn't looking where I was going." I waited for her to yell at me, get angry, anything. But she just laughed. Her laugh was cheerful, very genuine and light.
"Hey, it's good man. Happens all the time. No harm done anyway," she smirked. "What're you doing out here all alone? You seem way too young to be on the streets already."
"You don't look very old either," I muttered. She looked about my age, pretty petite, and her personality just seemed childish, despite her clothes and hair.
"Touché," the girl held out her hand. "My names Alex. They and them pronouns please." They winked.
"Oh, uh," I shyly shook their hand. "I'm... I..." I looked to the floor. I could finally identify as a girl out here, but I didn't know where to start. I didn't even have a name.
"Lemme guess... Trans girl? Got kicked out of your house when you came out?" Alex looked sad, as if it reminded them of something.
"Yeah, spot on," it was as if they could read my mind. Or maybe they just had a similar experience. "I... Don't exactly have a name yet, so I wasn't sure how to introduce my-"
"Amanda," Alex cut in.
"Excuse me?"
"How about Amanda?" I thought for a second. It sounded good, it really clicked. I smiled, nodding.
"Yeah... Sounds good. Thanks." Alex nodded back.
"No problem. So, since you don't have a home, I presume, maybe wanna crash with us until you get back on your feet?" I looked around. Barely anyone else was there, only a few passing tourists and salespeople.
"Us?" I questioned. Alex grinned, as if they were waiting for me to say that, and grabbed my wrist gently. They lead me through the twisting streets of New York, past museums and shops, venders that sold delicious smelling food, and through crowds of people until we reached a small house tucked into the corner of the street. It looked abandoned, the windows cracked and dirty, the door aging and already half rotten, the roof was sagging and it looked to be only one large room. Alex took a small silver key out of their pocket, and unlocked the door. I was afraid the doorknob might just fall off, but luckily, it stayed intact. As I stepped in, I realized I was right. The house was just one room, a few pieces of furniture littering the floor, a small wooden table sitting in the middle of all the mess. The walls were bare and I saw a giant spider, easily the size of my hand, scuttle out the door. I looked to Alex, confused.

"Well... Welcome to your new home!"