16: The Birthday Surprise

A/N: Guys, we're nearing the end and I am so not ready. I'm anxious for all your reactions tbh. Anyway, I'm not going to say much other than ENJOY! :)

The house was silent when I arrived and I narrowed my eyes with suspicion. I looked about me, quietly closing the door behind me, as I scavenged for something that looked amiss or out of place. After living with Bruce and Riley together in the same household for the past three months it was on a rare occasion that I found Riley wanting to go to bed on a school day without a fight, or Bruce letting him stay up his bedtime despite my protests. Those two boys, when put together, were uncontrollable but something about how well they got along, how they made each other happy with their Batman-Superman talks, pulled at my heart strings.

Bruce was beginning to fill in his father shoes more and more as the days went on.

Muffled voices reached my ears and I followed the sound of voices until I stood in front of Riley's slightly ajar door. I put my hand on the handle, ready to greet my boys with a smile but when I picked up the topic of their conversation I froze, stopping dead in my track.

"Wow," I heard Bruce's voice. He sounded breathless. Awed. "I don't know, Riley. Maybe that's something we should ask your mum."

"That's not fair," Riley protested. "She gets everything she wants."

His words hit something hard at my chest and I tried to ignore the pain that spread over my heart. I leant to the side and peaked through the small gap of the door. I saw Riley lying in bed with Bruce sitting up next to him, his hand stroking Riley's hair. Very fatherly. For a brief second I felt angry. What was Bruce thinking when he told my son that it was up to me to decide what Riley looked to him as?

"Don't say that, Riley," Bruce said and I saw that he shook his head whilst saying it. I could barely make them out with the dim lighting. "Your mother is protective of you."

"She seems to love you. Has she told you she loves you?"

Bruce was silent for a moment. "She doesn't have to say it for me to know," he replied softly. But I heard what was in his voice. I just couldn't decide if it was the emotion of betrayal or sadness.

"To know what? The she loves you? That she doesn't love you?" Riley interrogated, his voice starting to become more agitated with each question.

"Riley," Bruce whispered, lowering his head to press his lips to Riley's forehead. I couldn't see clearly but I could imagine Bruce's eyes falling shut, his heart aching just as mine was. I had hurt him again, this time involuntarily and unconsciously, and I didn't know if I should be ashamed. I could love him. Three months later after that night under stars, confessions out in the air, and here I was—still waiting on a could. I could love him. I could.