They Ain't Even in the Game

Chapter 1: They Ain't Even in the Game

A blond man stood on the balcony of a royal palace, leaning against a marble pillar. His arms were crossed over an extravagant looking coat while his honey colored eyes held firm towards the picturesque sunset landscape. In two hours he'd be betrothed. Thankfully, not to a woman. Coming out to his parents at a younger age seemed to have been his advantage. For he'd be marrying a well suited man, even if he wasn't in love with him.

You see, Joey wasn't a typical prince who married the typical princess in an arranged marriage. Besides being homosexual, he decisively believed in true love. Call him silly or an imaginative fool – which had happened to him once or twice – but he just couldn't bring himself to be accepting of being forced to marry someone who he didn't know. And it was with that attitude that had him not wanting to know them or even partake in the means of deciding on a man.

There was only one man that he'd ever consider as taking a husband and that was his close friend Duke Devlin. He was the head of security's son and was next in line to protect the King. For now, he stuck close to Joey and during that time, Joey had fallen in love with him. He was handsome, too handsome for his own good. Long black hair – usually tied up in a ponytail over a red band – and bright emerald green eyes. He was every girl or boy's fantasy, and yet Duke was above relationships. He'd sworn them off after having his heart broken by a girl that they now recalled as "T-Bag." She was a princess to one of the neighboring countries and had taken to Duke as soon as she had seen him, and he in return had fallen for her. Joey had been devastated but had supported his friend anyways. This had been before he had come out to anyone. Tea, the girl, was caught with a stable boy one day by Duke when he had gone off to visit her for her birthday. It had been the hardest day for both Duke and Joey. Duke because he was distraught and Joey because he felt incredibly sorry for his best friend and crush.

But now, he'd never have the chance to tell Duke how he felt. And Duke would go on with his life being miserable and lonely. Rubbing at his nose, Joey glared at the silhouette of mountains that the lowering sun was behind. Why was life so cruel?

"Hey man, there's only three duels left. Don't you want to watch your future husband's win?"

With just the sound of Duke's voice, Joey's heart fluttered but then dropped to his feet with the realization that Duke was okay with him being married off in a contest. Joey huffed.

"Why would I? This is stupid," Joey spoke with disdain as Duke walked over to him. "Can't believe my parents decided this."

Duke sighed as they'd had this conversation before many times over. "You know why Joey. You're eighteen now, you're supposed to be married. That's the law."

"You're eighteen and you're not married. Why's it different for me?"

"Because I'm not the prince. Now come on, you're father sent me out here to drag you into the ball room."

Joey huffed again and turned away from Duke, out of his hand reach. "I'm not going in there, Duke."

Duke groaned with frustration. "Come on man, what am I supposed to tell your parents?"

"That I'm running away and they can kiss my ass."

Rolling his eyes, Duke moved closer to Joey and placed a hand on his shoulder. Joey tensed underneath it. "It's not going to be that bad. I've been watching the duels and these last contestants are pretty talented."

Joey shoved Duke off of him then, throwing a glare his way. "What's being great at Duel Monsters have to do with marriage? Hunh? Nothin'! That's what! It makes no sense Duke! I'm not doin' this! They can't make me!"