Housewarming Basket

I had just finished dressing myself and was about to comb through my damp hair when a knock sounded from my door.

For a second, I thought I was hearing things. Because who the hell could it be? But then it sounded again, this time much louder.

So, I scurried over to the door, nearly tripping over my pile of dirty clothes in the process.

"Coming!"

I stopped for a second to catch my breath and then turned the knob, "Uhm, hello?"

Negan poked his head in, an enormous grin on his face, "It's just me. I know I told you to come and find me but I thought you'd be done by now, I was worried."

I crossed my arms nervously and flicked my hair over my shoulder, "I took a pretty long shower, I'm sorry."

He strided towards the end of my bed, lifting the edges of the folded blankets that were there, "You haven't made your bed yet. Has it been a long time since you slept in a bed, or had a hot shower, or had a full meal?"

I pursed my lips, something I had learned from spending so much time with Rosita, but kept quiet.

He was trying to discretely ask me questions about Alexandria, but he wasn't very sneaky about it at all.

Silence.

He clicked his tongue on the roof of his mouth and then chuckled, raising a brow as if to ask, aren't you going to answer?

"That full meal didn't last me very long," I nodded towards the bathroom. "Sorry, again."

"We can get you something else to eat later but for now, let's talk. Catch up a bit..."

He strided over to the two seats on the other end of the room, sitting down in one and then extending his hand towards the other. As I made way over to him, he rested Lucille on the side of his chair and then crossed his legs, "How long has it been?"

"How long has it been since what?"

"Since you had a nice meal."

"Every meal I eat is considered a nice meal, given the circumstances."

He chuckled lowly and I laughed along mockingly.

"I'm going to need you to participate, Leslie. Now, you know I'm a pretty giving guy. I'm giving you a room and all of the food you could ever eat. I'm treating you well, and all I ask is that you answer my questions. Alright?"

"Where is Daryl?"

The second Daryl's name left my lips, Negan's smile fell from his face, "He's around."

"I'd like to see him. And then I'll answer your questions."

He shook his head, "No, it doesn't work that way."

I remained silent, tilting my head to the side derisively.

And he caved.

"Okay," Negan shot up from his position in the chair and practically sprinted to the door, swinging it open and extending his hand, gesturing me to come along, "Get up, let's go."

I slipped out of the chair and jogged after him, following him down the hall. He was obviously in a hurry to get this part of the deal done. His strides were so long that I had to run at a steady pace to keep up with him.

When he came to a sudden stop, I walked right in to his side, tripping over his feet and nearly falling on to the ground, but I caught myself on the doorframe a few feet to my right.

Negan frowned and reached forward, roughly grabbing hold of my right wrist and bringing it up so he could examine the scar there.

"What happened to you?"