[28] The Ball

I go to Ashleigh's house to borrow a dress for the ball.

"Follow me," she says as we head towards a room that I've never been in before. "Welcome to my closet." She flashes her pearly white teeth.

Her closet is the size of my whole bedroom. Heck, it's probably bigger. It's tastefully done up. The walls are purple and white and there hundreds of shelves filled with clothes, purses, and shoes. I'm not exaggerating when I say hundreds.

"Wow," is all I manage to say.

"So what color are we thinking?" She asks and points to a corner of the room that's filled with extremely fancy dresses.

"I'm cool with anything," I shrug. "Just not something that's too over the top."

"I have the perfect one," She says and pulls out a gorgeous satiny dress. "Try it on." She hands it so me and I do as she says.

"Damn, girl. You look hot!" She exclaims when she sees me.

"Thanks," I chuckle.

I look into a full length mirror and see that Ashleigh is right; I do look hot! The strapless dress is royal blue with small rhinestones on the upper half. The bottom half flows up to my ankles. I feel like a Disney Princess!

"Ashleigh, it's gorgeous. Thank you so much!" I hug her.

I quickly head back home to get ready before Ashton gets there. Ugh, Ashton. The mere thought of him makes me want to barf. Luckily, I came up with the perfect plan earlier.

Will and Alex are going to catch up with me over there and I'm gonna sneak away from Ashton as soon as I can. Ashleigh is going with Wade, her latest conquest.

I go home and put on a bit of makeup. My matte red lipstick looks stunning and my winged eyeliner is on fleek by the time I'm done. Wow, I can't believe I just said on fleek. I really am turning into Ashleigh. I run my fingers through my hair and don't bother styling it. I'm late enough as it is. 

Ashton gets here half an hour late but I don't mind. It just means that I have to spend half an hour less with him.

"Hey, you ready to go?" He asks and I nod. I enter his car and the stench of Axe Deodorant fills my lungs. I quickly roll down the window so I can breathe. He admires himself in the rear view mirror.

His hair looks extra yellow and curly today, just like ramen noodles. He's wearing a well fitted suit. It might have actually looked good if it wasn't leopard printed. Yup, his suit is leopard printed. I kid you not.

"Cool suit, huh?" He giggles like an idiot.

"Very cool," I give him the most fake smile ever.

"Look, Kathryn, I'm sorry I called you a slut." 

"Gee, thanks."

"No, I'm serious. I had no right." He looks embarrassed.

"It's fine," I say. He turns on the radio and blasts Famous by Kanye West. Yay.

Luckily, we reach the venue where the ball is being held within the next five minutes.

The walls are covered with paisleys and the whole place has a very victorian feel to it. Familiar faces surround me. Literally everyone who lives in Riverbrook is here, from people I go to school with, to Aunt Augusta's botox buddies. Everybody is more dressed up than I've ever seen them and suddenly, I feel extremely underdressed.

Ashton snakes his arm around my waist.

"Hands off, bitch," I say, taking a step away from him and he chuckles.