Chapter 2 - So Close, Yet So Far ✅

Good morning! 🍫

Moving on... 💃💃💃

"Words in double quotes" - Talking

'Words in single quotes' - Thoughts

Chapter 2 - So Close, Yet So Far

#Pune#

"Run Ragu!" shouted Shekhar in desperation as he tried to wrestle the gun from the hands of another man.

"I will end you Ragini! If you can't be mine, I'll make sure you cannot go to another!" shouted the guy as he tried to break free of Shekhar and chase after Ragini.

Suddenly, he heard the police sirens. Fearing his arrest, he panicked. 'I have to get out of here.' He managed to kick Shekhar in the shin and ran away the opposite direction.

"Mr Gadodia!?"

"Inspector, over here! He ran that way!" Shekhar shouted, pointing at the direction the man ran away.

The police ran in that direction, but they were too late to catch him as he escaped on his bike. They started their vehicles to chase after him.

#2 hours later, Gagodia Residence#

"That man was Purab! I'm sure of it! Why are you not arresting him?!"

"We cannot arrest him until we have solid proof against him Mr. Gagodia."

"I am an eye-witness. Isn't that proof enough?"

The officer looked at the other constables and instructed them to move out. They did as they were told.

Once the other consgtables left, Shekhar addressed the officer. "Look Manish, you have been my friend since school. Can't you see my daugher's life is in danger? Why are you not arresting that bastard Purab?!"

Mansih sighed. "Look Shekhar. I'm your friend. But I'm also a police officer. My duty comes before my personal ties. I need proof to arrest Purab."

Shekhar glared. "What duty it is if you can't even arrest Ragini's harasser?!"

"She's like my own child too. Don't think I don't care about her Shekhar." Manish reasoned. "And even if I did arrest Purab, he would be free the next day. Do you really think without proof, we could jail him? It would cause more trouble than good."

"What?! Why?"

"Purab isn't just any lafanga. His father has connections with some of the most wealthy men in the city and also the leaders of the biggest gangs. Some also say, it was his father who helped the C.M gain power. So the authority would be wrapped around his finger you see." Manish explained. "So even if I arrest him, the higher authority is going to help him, not us. In fact, they might plot to get us fired and take the licence of our guns. Then we would be more at a disadvantage."

"So am I supposed to just sit here? Just sit and do nothing while he tries to hurt my Ragini!?"

Manish hesitated, wondering if he should say it or not. Making a decision, he laid a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Shekhar, I think it would be better if you left the city."

"What?!" Shekhar asked in bewilderment.

"Yes. Go away from Pune."

"And run away like a coward? Never!"

"She-"

"No way Manish. Don't even suggest that! I'm no coward. I'm Shekhar Gadodia!"

Manish was miffed with his reply. He came and stood right in front of Shekhar, looking straight into his eyes. "Decide! Is your pride more precious to you, or your daughter's safety." Shekhar flinched at being rebuked. Manish continued without backing down. "There is no other way to protect Ragini other than leaving Pune. Believe me, it's the safest way. Go to another city, assume a new identity, and when everything here is settled, you can return back. I'll keep you updated."