New Friends and New Challenges.

Emily's POV

I smiled as Amber used ember on a random Zigzagoon that attacked us and it fainted.

Once we did the standard procedure..... (making sure it didn't have any lasting injuries.)

We left him on the side of the route and finally made it to Oldale town. Lati said that the route between Littleroot and Oldale was nothing, but I guess he said that since he could fly at mach three for crying out loud. But, traversing the twisting route on foot was another story. It had taken a good two hours and involved quite a few wild pokemon.

I could tell Amber was eager to continue and didn't take much damage, but she was even more eager to take a nap. I had to remember she was still young and didn't have the same stamina as Lati.

I always knew he trained until late into the night every night. I occasionally checked up on him during random times after our day's playdate. He was always too focused on learning new things to notice me in the bushes behind the tree. He was always fun to watch.

No! Bad Emily! I need to focus on the task at hand.

"Let's get to the pokemon center okay?"

Amber leapt up and chirped in happiness.

We rushed forward in the little town and where about to enter the center when a lady in a pokemart uniform came up and asked "Would you like a free sample?"

I stopped and turned to her asking "Free sample of what?"

Amber bumped into my leg and was confused as to why we stopped.

The pokemart employee said "Here! Take a free potion!" before walking briskly away.

I joined my Torchick in her confusion as I slipped the extra potion into my bag.

We decided to shake it off and enter the center. No one but Nurse Joy was in the room at the moment so I walked up, picked up Amber, and put her on the desk with her pokeball.

"Could you please heal my Torchick nurse?" I asked nicely.

She nodded and said "Looks like a couple mild scrapes and some tiredness. The refreshing machine should do fine....."

She recalled Amber and placed her in a machine behind her.

I made a funny jingle as it glowed.

"Do-do do-do-do!"

It finished and she handed me back my pokeball.

I released Amber and she had no sign of damage and she seemed to be brimming with energy.

I asked "Wait.... if you have a machine like that..... how come you perform surgery on hurt pokemon instead of using this?"

Nurse Joy deflated at that question. She asked herself under her breath "Why do I always get asked these questions....."

She put back on a smile and said "Simple! The Refreshing Machine that I used only works on minor injuries and battling fatigue. For anything more serious we need to take extra steps to ensure the recovery of a pokemon. Including but not limited to surgery, physical therapy, medications, and other procedures."

"Oh wow..... I'm sorry, I didn't know....."

She smiled and said "Don't worry, it's a common question for first time users of pokemon centers. Do you want to stay the night?"

I looked outside and nodded. It was getting pretty dark.....

She gave a key and said "It's the first door on your right when you enter the west wing over there ok?"