A Daughter's Curiosity

Chapter Three.

"Look here Raien! Look!" Running hastily as she calls for her playmate, with an object in her left hand. "What have you found Dominique?"

"I found this in my chambers, around the corners of the room, do you know what they call this?" The boy gave her a perplexed look. "Of course I do, it's a gem. You shouldn't be unknowing since most of your accesories are adorned with it."

The little girl laughed, making the boy more befuddled. "But do you know the name of this gem? Look at it, its name must be as pretty as it is."
Raien simply pretended to start thinking, but truly, gems do not interest him. He thinks all girls like sparkly, shiny things, yet he does not know that Dominique is fascinated with the gem simply because of her thirst for knowledge.  "I don't know, I really really really don't know. Please don't cry again."

Raien can see Dominique's eyes moisten, because she's holding back her tears. When it comes to her curiosity, having it unfulfilled upsets her very much, and she being a crybaby are what upsets Raien. He feels responsible for her, since he is the only friend she knows all her life. "You're supposed to be smart like me! You're even supposed to be smarter than me! It would...uh..benefit you! Like what mother said!" The girl exclaimed. Learning is rather boring for Raien, although it is true that he is a fast learner with an amazing mind, yet he thinks that his position wouldn't need incredible intelligence, only simply charms and skill. At least, that's what he was told.

"Why should I? Aren't I already a clever little boy? I once saved a puppy from two running horses!" the boy defended. "That simply isn't true!"

"It is!"

"It's not!"

"It is!!"

"It is not!"

"It is! It really is! I can prove it!" Oh dear, Raien is simply weary of Dominique arguing with him.

"And how?" she spoke, seemingly trying to provoke hm. "There won't be a puppy in the way of two running horses today. That rarely happens." she chuckled. He hates it, when she's trying to prove him wrong. For a little boy, he already has much pride.

"Tell me what shall I do to prove you my wit."

Dominique smiled. At first, she was baffled because how is saving a puppy from two running horses prove you smart? Wouldn't it rather prove you, agile? Nevertheless, she got what she wanted. She wanted to know the name of the gem, and here he is, ready to do her bidding. Clever little girl.

"Know the name of the gem I showed you, and I'll doubt your cleverness no longer." Dominique smirked at the look on Raien's face, for she knows that she kind of tricked him once again. She always does. Raien hates it, very very much. But for the sake of his pride, he'll do it.

Domimique noticed the angered looked on his face. She looked first into his soil brown eyes. She didn't want to anger him, only challenge him. But what can she do now? What can saying sorry do? Does Raien hate her? Will he ever play with her again? Will he even talk to her again? What if he's suddenly asked for March tommorow? She might never get to see him again, and with the tension between the two of them, he might be to angered to tell her goodbye. All this irrational thoughts bugged her young mind, yet all she can do is bite her nails, watching Raien storm to the library. So much for being careful.

But she wondered, her actions today, both benefit her and backfired. The benefit of knowing the name of the gem, and the backfire of her thoughts. Things always make her uneasy.

---

"Then pick what matters most."

"Mother, I don't understand. Shouldn't things that benefit you matter more?" The downfall of being smart, is the want to know more, the thirst for answers. That's what her mother is thinking at the moment. She wanted a smart child, didn't she?

"Listen here, Nique. What mattered more? Your friendship with Raien or the name of that gem?" What a wise response. How would her daughter react?

"My friendship with him truly mattered more, but it was a moment of win or lose, and I made sure I wasn't losing. Does every benefit have its downfall? Can I not just gain benefit on its own?" Like every child ever, another question. Anastasia knows if she answers, it would be followed by another, and another, and another. A seemingly endless conversation, and it drains her already tired mind and body.

"Okay, that's enough questions for the day. Mother is really exhausted because of the twins. I'm afraid we have to see each other tommorow my love." She hugged Dominique, and kissed her forehead, like she always does.
"But you'll answer me tommorow, will you?

"I'll do my best. Go now, and rest. Remember, always be careful."Dominique smiled before looking away, as the maid escorted her back to her chambers.

What a long life ahead of them.

|A/N| oke my life is a mess