Welcome to June

Chapter Eight

In a long, red, ruby studded gown she walked, head held up high, and pride, is prominent. The music has started. People are cheering. She's here.

Welcome to June.

She was restless after the journey, this fair lady, and all she wish is to rest for now, and let the buisness happen the next day. But as Dominique lay on the bed, alone, staring at the wooden ceiling, she realized she was in fear of something.

Change.

Change in the path she set her life to be. She thought she was headed for March, but look where she is now. In the palace of June, and beside her are scented candles and unfamillar yet beautiful works of art.

Her father's council convinced him to send Dominique to June, so she could see everything for herself, and be known to the Emperor at the same time. The Emperor, suddenly she was curious. Curious of what it might be for her if she gave it a possibility. But her grip on March is too strong, and her passion for the prince is too deep.

"I will endure it." she whispered to herself. After this, she would go back to her kingdom and the world would return back the way it was supposed to be. Her and Raien. Picture perfect.

---

"Perfect." She mumbled as she arranged the flowers adorned outside the palace. She glanced her nose over them to sniff them a little, enjoying the pleasant smell. "Excuse me, miss." Someone with a deep voice said, tapping her shoulder. "Haneul!" she exclaimed, yet suddenly struck with the reality. Her best friend is no longer a young, mischevious prince. He is the Emperor.

"Forgive me, your highness." She quickly added and bowed several times. "Oh dear." he replied. "Correct, I'm the Emperor, but that does not make me see you anyless different." He added, placing his hand on her hairline. "Haneul! You are ruining my hair!" She silently exclaimed, moving his hand away from her. "Since when were you such a lady, huh?" He replied sarcasrically, hitting her forehead again, but lightly.

"Since the love of your life arrived. Us court ladies must always be seen as clean and modest." she responded, rolling her eyes jokingly. "And you see yourself as a court lady now. I'm tearing up, you're growing. I thought you believed you were to be a general." he joked, and laughed. "Alright, bully me all you want, but not here. What if Lady April wanders about and see us?"

"And so? Tell me, what is she going to see? Can I not speak to my friend once in a while?" he said. Her heart sank a little, hearing those words. But she pushed those feelings aside for now, there must be no traces of it for Haneul to notice. "You know ladies, always chattering about, spreading untrue rumors." she replied. "Rumors? Like, 'The Emperor, having affairs with the kingdom she-male.'" He laughed happily at his own joke. A joke to him, it is.

"No. More like, 'The Emperor, seen crying home because he was kicked in the ass by the kingdom she-male.'"  She spat and grabbed his sleeve. "Now that sounds about accurate!" He smiled. "Welcome back, General. I thought I lost you." "Shut up." she said, letting go of his sleeve. "Now please, for the good of June, kindly let me continue my work." she smiled and walked away.

As soon as she felt that the Emperor was out of the scene, she ran to the corner and held her chest tightly, looking to the sky, trying to avoid tears from falling over her eyes. 'No.' She thought. 'No, no, no, no.' She reminded herself, repeating it over and over again. In denial, she is. In denial of what?

That she is in love.

---
"Give it time." he said as he sipped his cup of tea. "That is my plan. Give it time. Let her explore, wander, be famillarized with everything and everyone."

She raised her eyebrow upon hearing her son. "You are letting your emotions rule over you." She sighed. "Nothing like your father."

Haneul looked his mother in the eyes. "What do you even know about my father?" he spat. "Were you not always away, indulging in pleasures being queen has to offer? You only were around to perform your royal duties." he placed his tea cup on the table harshly.

She poured warm tea on his cup and stood silent for a moment. "Why is it that until now, you're so naive of how the world works." she spoke, looking out the window watching the plants sway in the breeze. "The world is always unfair, my son. Remember that. It is either your loss, or theirs."

"I wouldn't be so inconsiderate." he replied, finishing his drink. "And I wouldn't hesitate to get out of my own way for people." he added.

His mother felt a pang of stress in her head. 'Always the good person. Always the loser. Always left with nothing.' she thought. As silence stood in the midst of them, she wondered where her son got the will to be so generous and kind. To her he was weak, and that he could not handle the real world on his own. She loves him, yes, but for a man, he seemed so soft hearted.

"Men are kings because they are logical." she spoke, placing her cup om the table. "And wooing her too much isn't logical. She isn't to follow her own will, she is to follow her duties, And what is her duty?" she looked at Haneul in the eyes. "Marry and provide an heir."

Haneul looked down in displacement. He does understand, yet at the same time, he doesn't. He doesn't know what to say, so he stood up and dusted away his clothes. "I must go."

"My son." she spoke. "This marriage will go your way effortlessly. But June would go down in flames if you neglect it. Focus on more important matters."

He turned around and looked at her, then left the room. She once again poured herself a cup of tea and looked outside.

"Just like your father." she mumbled.

[A/N: A year later lolololol]