Traveling

Chapter Ten

As Dominique was taken out of her room the sight she saw was indeed, say, chaotic. Objects were everywhere, people were running about, and debris were on the floor. She had to be careful or else she might step on shards of broken vases.

Instead of exiting through the main gate, the men accompanying her brought her to a hidden tunnel in the very back of the palace. The tunnel was big enough for her to walk in without scrouching, but the men had to adjust.

Outside, there was a carrige waiting for them. The young guard helped her enter inside while he went in front to drive the horses. Inside the carrige was a young girl of her age.

She waved her hand, seemingly trying to greet her so Dominique gave her a smile in return. The carrige started to move, and it speedily took them away from the breaking palace.

After a few minuites, the girl started to speak. "I speak little English." she spoke. This made Dominique feel glad again, as if meeting someone from April. "Really? How nice. Would it bother you if I talk to you?" she replied enthusiastically, and the girl nodded.

"My name, Hyung-sae. Lady royal." she spoke in a struggle. Somehow Dominique wanted her not to speak at all if it made her feel difficult, but she was longing for a conversation after two days of silence.

Dominique tried to imitate a bow they do in June. "You must be a kin to the Emperor." she replied, and the fellow princess nodded. "Good friends."

"Oh. Then, you must know my identity?" she asked, looking down. "Yes. Princess April, said him." she replied shyly. Dominique decided to not respond. She no longer want to talk. She suddenly went back to feeling frustrated and alone, so she decided to stay silent and look outside at the woods of the unfamilliar June she was brought in.

---

"We are a few distances near of our destination. Would you like to wake up?" said a deep, warm voice in front of her. She didn't notice how long she was asleep. She didn't even remember sleeping at all. Nevertheless, a troubled expression went plastered on her face after seeing a girl was no longer in the carrige with her, but a man. The young guard who had talked to her earlier.

Dominique blinked her eyes to clear up her vision before looking at the man. "Well, well, this one's fluent." she spoke. The man chuckled and smiled warmly, noticing that the princess was still a little dazed after sleeping such a deep sleep.

"Indeed, it was difficult to learn, but fulfilling." he replied. "May I introduce myself?" he asked stretching out his hand. Dominique offered her hand and he gave it a light peck. "My name is Sky, and I am not really a guard." he added.

She raised her eyebrow in amusement. "I suppose your not from June too, are you not?"

"Yes. I am from the moon." he joked, grinning. "Really now? A deity came down from the heavens and saved me earlier? How fantastic. I must be going mad." she responded sarcastically yet smiling.

"Why madam, do not be so serious now. Lighten up a little. I was just trying to make you smile."

"I was smiling all my life at April until I was dragged here by my father." she spoke, frowning.

"If I may ask," he cleared his throat, "Why are you here, Princess?"

"You know who I am and not why I'm here?" she asked.

"I have no interest in meddling in court rumors, so no. They didn't even made it public so why must I bother." he answered, looking outside at the now pale sunset. "Oh. Well, if I must tell you then." she replied.

"The King of April, my father, sent me here in request of the Emperor. He said it is so he can formally court me, but..." she stopped. "Not once did I meet him."

"Fear not, my lady. You will meet him soon enough." he said surely. Is the Emperor there where they are headed to?

"Can you keep a secret?" she asked, out of the blue. Sky looked at her cunningly with confusion. "Goodness me, a royal secret. I will take it to the grave." he laughed.

Dominique did not really know why that was asked. Maybe, it was because longed for a friend. Someone, not from her homeland where she was expected to follow. Someone who would gain nothing from her emotions.

"I am in love." she smiled. It was the first time she admitted it, other than to herself. This made her insides all gooey and warm at the thought of the prince back at April.

"With whom? The Emperor?" he asked with bright eyes. She felt slightly disappointed. Even here, she was pushed to the young emperor. But she could not blame him, he doesn't know her enough.

"My friend, back home at court." she spoke, eyes fluttering as she looked outside into the stars. "He is charming, intelligent, and handsome. Best of all, he is elli-"

'Elligible for me to marry' she thought. Raien is a prince, after all. But she couldn't say that. She would be spilling too much, too much for a stranger. Still, she turned to the bright side, where there is hope.

"Illigitimate?" he looked at her, questioning. "No, but my love for him is." she answered.
"You are having an affair with a different man, yet you are betrothed to another." he said, looking fairly upset.

"Truth is, my feelings are unrequited." she felt gloom and looked down. He didn't answer, which left them in silence. The heavy heart she carries grew much lighter though, for she has finally let out the words she was afraid to say. Yet she still hasn't accepted it, she still hopes.

Hope that fuels the love burning inside of her.

---

"The men who attacked Tantei district, any knoledge of who they are?" Joo asked, with a straight face. "No updates, your highness." Hyung replied, a worried look on her face.

"Is it not safe to think they are only bandits?" the princess questioned.

"No, your majesty. They did not take any possesions, they just destroyed, burnt, and attacked people. This was in account of the witnesses. They escaped and went in the direction towards the palace."

Joo kwang sighed. "There is no going back, now is there?"

Hyung took her hand and held it. "Everything will be alright, Princess. We will be safe." she said, comforting Joo. She has devoted her life in being an aid to her, and now she has the chance to fulfill it.

"May I ask where is my brother?" the princess asked, feeling woried.

"Doing his duties, madam." she answered.

"Is he with us?"

"Unfortunately, I do not know his whereabouts. Yet before we left the palace, I was assured that he was safe and handling the situation."

Joo doubted it. Hopefully, he is safe. But to think that he is assessing the recent events, well,  she doesn't think so. It must be their mother, feeling regent and acting regent as to command the forces on what to do. His brother at first heavily relied on the people around him for instructions on how to rule, so situations like this would be troubling for him.

It bugs her that she is so unaware. She is safe, but she feels alienated, ever since she was betrothed to Febuary. She does not know why, but she blames it. She blames everything. Outside, she is calm and collected, but inside,

she is scattered.