A Child's Duty

Chapter Six

  Raien's point of view 

 Dominique observed me as I paced around the room, and by the look plastered on my face it was obvious that I was anxious. "Mind telling me what troubles you?"

Frankly, I would appreciate a person who'd care to listen, but not Dominique. It frequently occurred to me that whenever I trust her with matters I'd prefer to keep private, there's always someone she tells it to.

"Do you not trust me?" she said, looking deep in my eyes straight forwardly, like she's forcibly entering my thoughts. I looked away and sighed. "I do." I lied. Somehow, she leaving me lone would be very appreciated, although I can't find the words to tell her without being ill-mannered. Her gaze never left me, and it's starting to make me feel uncomfortable. "Very well, you know where to find me if you ever need me." she shrugged, and left my presence. 

 Truly, the thing that bothers me is my sister. These recent months I have not recieved any letters from her, and it worries me. She always find ways to talk to me, not in ways like Dominique. Mother once mentioned Raianne's condition, that she may be unhinged if anything traumatic happened.

Yesterday, I recieved word that our youngest, Rainessa, who was born 9 months since today, had died 3 months ago. It saddens me, thinking about how grief-stricken my family is back at March, particularly Aia (A nickname I gave her), who was said to have nursed the frail, unhealthy child in her last days. This must be too much for her thirteen year old mind to handle, as she mentioned in her letters once how 'overjoyed' she was at the birth of our youngest.

Will writing to them about it remedy their grief, or make them even more submerged into sorrow? I suddenly wished for Dominique's company, for she knows well handling situations like these (she spends a fair amout of time at the nursery), but I just wiped the thought off. My mother flooded me with sorrowful letters although I heard none of Aia. What could be of my sister's heart? 

 --- 

Third person"What could be of poor Raien?" she spoke, taking some strawberry tart from the tray. "Is there anything wrong?" Lana, her lady-in-waiting replied while handing the princess the glass of milk she asked. "In fact there is, but I'd rather keep it to myself." How foolish it is to let her thoughts escape through her mouth, she thought.

Her blabbering always gets her tangled up in messes, and she thinks of it incredibly shameful. Her mother was raddled of telling her to 'be careful', seeing that she isn't following, and Dominique noticed that. As her siblings added, attention given to her by her beloved mother lessened more and more, leaving Dominique feeling alone. She instead, clung to Raien for attention but he too appreciated distance from her. Of course, she could not bother her father who is highly tied up with matters concerning April.

 Speak of the devil, she heard her father knocking, calling for her outside of her room. It must be much of an importance for the King to look for her himself than rather have her called. She asked Lana, to open the door for him, and as soon as he entered the room, he hurriedly walked to his daughter and hugged her ever so tight. She was in shock, so she pulled away to ask him the situation. "My eldest! This is a moment of celebration!" he shouted so loud that other servants peeked into the room. "Lower your voice, father." she smiled."Of course." he responded, straightening up.

"Well, I have recieved word from the Emperor of June, and.." he stopped and looked at the other people in the room, a signal for them leave. "And what?" She furrowed her eyebrows, looking at him oddly. "We have been negotiating recently for our kingdom would love an April-June alliance." Her heart stopped at the King's words. She knows exactly what this means, Marriage. 

"Let me guess.." She responded, walking away from her father and towards the window, resting her hands on the window sill. "The Emperor is interested in me, is he not? she spoke, manipulating her tone to seem saddened. Her father nodded. "The Emperor is not in any way your senior, in fact, he shares the same date of birth as you do." That wouldn't make things any better.

The fifteen year old princess is in pursuit of a different alliance, with a different kingdom, with a different king. "Could we not form alliance with March instead?" she reasoned. There is no way she will marry any other groom besides Raien. Why? For that is what she was led to believe ever since. There was no official announcement of their engagement, but it was obvious, and she heard that the King's council once debated about it and they are not at all against it. "I could see no reason why not." she added. "April is still moribund. If we ever constitute alliances with any kingdom, it should be not dying as we are." he replied sedately, making Dominique frown. She turned around and walked towards her father. "I will die before that takes place!" she spat, storming out of the room.

a/n: I am depressed