Article Two: Theory Two: The Termina Grief Theory.

So, I bet anyone who follows any Zelda pages on Facebook, Instagram, or Tumblr has seen the picture about the five areas of Termina representing the five stages of grief. This theory has to be my favorite theory on how the developers came up with themes and plots. So I just thought I'd cover this one while I remembered it. Gonna warn you now that this is probably going to be a very short article.

Now, let me start off by telling you the five areas of Temina and then the five stages of grief. So first there is Clock town. Then we have Woodfall, Snowhead, Great Bay, and Ikana Valley. The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. So, here is how it goes. Clock Town represents denial. Here is why.

Denial is a defensive mechanism used to keep you from realizing the truth. You don't want to believe someone has died, so you deny that is has happened. Clock Town represents denial because no one in Clock Town wants to believe that the moon is going to fall on them, so they ignore the problem and down the entire idea of it. Such as how Mutoh does.

"You cowards! Do you actually believe the moon will fall? The confused townsfolk simply caused a panic by believing this ridiculous, groundless theory. The soldiers couldn’t prevent the panic, but outside the town walls is where the danger is! You want answers? The answer is that the carnival should not be canceled! If the soldiers wish to run, then run, Viscen! We councilmen will stick to tradition. This carnival will be a success! I’ve never heard of a defense unit abandoning its town!" -- Mutoh the Carpenter 

See? He doesn't want to believe the moon is going to fall, but deep down he knows exactly what is going to happen the night of the carnival. 

The next stage is anger. Woodfall represents this one. When you get to Woodfall, you have to save one of the two witch sisters, Koume or Kotake. After you save them, you are told by a group of monkeys that their brother has been kidnapped by the Deku Tribe because they are blaming him for the disappearance of the Deku Princess. The Deku Tribe is grieving the loss of their precious princess, and they are placing their anger on one person who doesn't even have anything to do with it. The monkey is competely innocent and was actually working with the princess to find out what was going on with the swamp water. Anger is used in grief when denial is no longer prossible, so people replace it with misdirected anger. That is exactly what the Deku Tribe of Woodfall was doing.

The third stage of grief is bargaining, typified by desperate hopes to put off or reverse suffering and/or loss. For this stage, we have Snowhead as representation. This is where Link gets the Goron Mask for playing the "Song of Healing" for Darmani's ghost. Snowhead is the home of the Goron Tribe, who are grieving over the loss of their patriarch, Darmani. 

"As I am, I can only watch as Goron Village is slowly buried in ice…I may have died, but I cannot rest. So, you can use magic? The soaring one also told me that you are able to use it… I beg you! Bring me back to life with your magic!" -- Darmani's Ghost

This is a clear example of Darmani using bargaining. He asks Link to use magic to bring him back to life so he can fix his mistakes. 

The fourth stage is depression. We have Great Bay to represent this stage. With the realization that there is no chance of escaping any possible fate, there comes the desire to isolate yourself and disconnect yourself. When Link finds the dying Mikau on the beach of Great Bay, he plays the "Song of Healing" and then Mikau's soul is emboddied in the new Zora Mask. Now, once you put that mask on, you assume the position of Mikau's part musician and part time hero lifestyle. Sort of like Mikau never left. But Lulu still has to deal with that feeling of isolation and disconnection. Even though it's not that Mikau is dead because Link can take his form. We can only assume that it's because of her lost eggs. Any parent would be depressed if they lost their children, so that's the reason for that.

The final stage of grief is acceptance. Once you've gone through all other painful stages, you come to the one stage the makes it better. It's when you finally face reality and accept everything wrong thats happened. The final area that represents this stage is Ikana Valley. The land of the dead, the perfect place for Link to resolve his own grief, don't you think? For so long he had to deal with everyone else's grief and problems. Now, in Ikana Valley, he's going to deal with his own. After going through all of the challenges of Ikana Valley, Link finally accepts the loss of his dear friend. Grief is no longer an option for him. 

That is the theory of Termina. I know today isn't Tuesday, but I figured I would post about Termina and the five areas representing the five stages of grief. 

So, guys, comment your opinion on this theory and make sure to vote!

And if you have a theory of your own IM me and I might put it in the magazine!

If you have a theory that you want me to cover, comment it and I will try to cover it.

If you have any  short stories, IM those to me too and I also might put those in the magazine.

See you next time I post, may or may not be Tuesday.  But there will deffinitely be a post on Tuesday!