Cutlass Anne - Chapter One

Chapter One

"Ow!" I yelped.

"I'm sorry, madam," Juliana muttered as she tugged the laces of my corset again.

"Stop whining, Anne," Jane said while watching me from my bed.

I held onto my dressing table with one hand and placed the other on my chest. "You'll have to forgive me for not enjoying having my entire body constrained. I hate these things."

"They make you look lovely," Jane mumbled.

"I like to think I look fine without them," I snapped. "Not all of us have naturally tiny waists like you, Jane."

Juliana pulled harder on the bottom. "Finished!"

"Finally," I grumbled, standing up straight. "I can't even breathe."

"You'll be fine," Jane replied.

"Which gown will you be wearing this evening?" Juliana asked.

"The green one with the gold and black stomacher please," I replied.

She hauled the green gown out of a closet and brought it over for me to examine.

"It will do," I said, waving at her.

"What's wrong?" Jane asked.

"You know why father is going through such a hassle for a simple dinner with Bradford and his parents."

"Why?" she asked.

"Marriage, Jane. He's trying to marry me off."

"You don't know that, Anne."

"Yes I do."

"We'll see," she said rolling her eyes.

Juliana pinned the stomach panel in as our father, Thomas, knocked on the door. "Are you ready?"

"Yes," I called to him.

He opened the door and walked a slow circle around me.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Nothing. You look lovely."

"Yes, I suppose I do," I said staring at my reflection.

"Jewelry?" Juliana asked holding open the small ivory chest for me to pick what I wanted.

"The emerald necklace and the gold brooch."

"No, wear the rose cut and pearl brooch," Thomas said, intercepting Juliana's hand.

"That was mothers," I protested.

"Yes, I know. It will look better with your gown." He picked up my most valuable piece of jewelry and deposited it into my hand. Tears glazed my eyes. I blinked a few times trying to force them away. I didn't want to wear mother's brooch. I liked it safe in my ivory chest.

"Our guests have arrived. Please come down."

"Right away," I said trying to hide my disdain for him.

I descended the stairs slowly, swallowing the lump that had formed in my throat. Sitting in the formal room were Bradford Worthington and his parents.

Of course, it's Bradford, I thought bitterly to myself.

"Good evening, Anne," he said, standing and bowing low to me.

"Good evening, Mister Worthington," I replied, walking into the living room.

"You look lovely," Charles Worthington said, letting his eyes travel up and down my body. I shuddered as he placed his hand on the small of my back. His salt and pepper hair was slicked back and his glasses kept sliding down his nose. The man was creepy.