Cutlass Anne - Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The following morning the sun shone through my little window directly into my eyes. I rolled over, wanting nothing more than to go back to sleep. I sat up and listened to the sounds of the ship for a few minutes. I could hear a few people talking on the deck, but other than that it was quiet, too quiet. I opened the door slowly and recognized the voices instantly. It was Flynn and Captain John Jacks.

"I told you I have business a few towns over."

"Why don't I go with you? I am your first mate," Flynn argued, following his father around the deck.

"No, I need you here to keep an eye on things and make sure the cargo gets out to where it's supposed to. Plus you have to collect payment on everything."

"There is absolutely no reason why Gregory can't do all of that." He threw his hands in the air with frustration.

"He has to go with me."

I slammed the door shut and the voices quieted down.

"Good morning, Captain," I shouted.

"Good morning, Thomas, my boy!"

Flynn turned and stormed away.

"Is everything all right, sir?"

"Aye. My boy is just getting too big for his britches." He turned and started to walk away. "Let's go. We set sail within the hour."

"Within the hour?" I asked shocked.

"Aye."

"Where will we be leaving from?" I bit my lip nervously.

"The Cutlass will briefly come into port to pick us up, and then it is off to Tortuga. You are in for a treat when we get there." He beamed, a smile spread from ear to ear, an air of arrogance about him.

"Yes, I'm sure I am."

He strolled off the ship, and I turned to go in search of Flynn. Below deck I heard things smashing and curse words flying. I peered into the cargo hold, and he was pacing, punching the crates. I stood and watched him for a few minutes as what must have been an entire lifetime of pent up anger came flying out.

"Flynn?" I called tentatively.

He stopped. His face was red with anger, and blood dripped down his hand. I felt so bad for him. The poor man had been his father's first mate for how long and never knew that his father was a vicious, calculating criminal. He rested his elbows on the crate and let his head fall into his hands. I walked to him and put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"He lied to my face," he said quietly, not looking at me.

"I'm sorry."

"He's a filthy pirate, and he lied to my face." He slammed his fists down on the wood banister.

"Perhaps he is trying to spare you the fate he will face?" I placed my hand on his arm in a meager attempt to be comforting.

"He's being a selfish prick."

"Flynn . . ." I let my voice trail off. Words seemed to escape me. I had no other way to explain away his father's actions. I did not want to justify them either. The man was responsible for my current status masquerading as a cabin boy searching for my sister.

"I don't want to be like him. I'm an honest man. I'm not a pirate." He looked toward me with a tear on his cheek. My heart felt as though it were breaking. I was watching Flynn's torment, and there was nothing I could do to help him.

"Then we'll stick to our plan," I said, squeezing his shoulder.

"When will this happen?" he asked, looking back out to sea.

"John Jacks and his crew set sail within the hour. Once The Cutlass is out of port, follow behind. Have you dealt with the other crew who are still here?"

"Yes, we only lost ten men."

"Lost?"

"Well, more like got them drunk and stuck them in a coach heading to the other side of the island."

I chuckled a bit.

"The rest of us are ready. They're waiting nearby for the captain and whoever is loyal to him to leave," Flynn said, letting his head hang in shame, or perhaps defeat.

"He just left, which I guess means I should be going."

"Please be careful. Nobody on that ship will be your friend, and you'll be alone for at least a week." He grasped my arms and stared into my eyes. He pulled me in close and covered my mouth with his. The kiss was intense and seemed so final. I have no idea if it was a good-bye forever or an I'll-miss-you-in-the-next-week type of kiss. It was not very reassuring either way.

I broke our connection and walked a few steps away from him. "I know. I think as long as I keep doing what I'm doing I should be okay. It seems to keep the captain happy."

"It doesn't take much to please him."

"I shall see you in a week's time." I quickly closed the small space between us. I couldn't leave without one more kiss, perhaps our last. I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him lightly on the cheek.

His eyes closed, and his muscular arms pulled me in. He gazed into my eyes and lowered his head to mine. He rested his forehead against mine for a long moment before finally pressing his lips to mine. This time though, I took charge. I pushed him back until his back was up against the nearest crate. His hands rested on my waist while mine were knotted in his hair, tugging slightly. I trailed kisses down his cheek to his neck. As his breathing became labored, I stopped. I knew it was unfair to get him excited only for us to have to part ways again.

"Anne, when this is over I-I want to be with you."

"I know, Flynn."

"Will you be mine?"

"Until the seas dry up," I whispered in his ear before leaving the cargo hold.

The sun was high in the sky, and off in the distance I saw a black ship with blood-red trim coming into view. The red sails that billowed in the strong winds had a skull and cutlass swords crossed on them.

It was The Cutlass.

I disembarked the ship and headed down the pier to a long rowboat. Standing at the bow was Captain John Jacks. His burgundy waistcoat was tied with a black sash, and his sword was tucked safely into the belt. Sighing heavily, I climbed aboard with the pirates. There were about ten of us. I recognized them all, though I had only ever spoken to the captain. They were the roughest of the crew from The Gilded Lady. John Jacks motioned for me to sit near him. It was disconcerting how he had taken such a liking to me. Deep down I could not help but wonder if he knew I was actually a girl. Or maybe he really did enjoy having someone around who could say more than "Arr," or "Aye, sir."

If anything happened before we reached Tortuga we would all be tried as pirates. This meant a long walk off a short pier.