Cutlass Anne - Chapter Thirty-Seven

Chapter Thirty-seven

The carriage came to a stop in front of The Gilded Lady. I slid out from under Jane's head, climbed out, and paid the cabbie. Flynn picked up my sister and carried her down the dock. The crew stopped and stared as he took her into the cabin. Their eyes widened in surprise when they saw the disheveled mess that I was.

"What happened?" Christopher helped me onto the ship.

"We found Jane," I said softly.

"You look like a nightmare."

"I know," I said. "Send Andrew into the cabin please."

I unlaced the dress and let it fall to the ground and took the shoes off. I picked up my shirt and slid it over my head just as Andrew walked into the room.

"Is she . . ."

"She's sleeping." I pulled on a pair of breeches.

I splashed water on my face, removing the powder to reveal the only tanned part of my body. I did not bother with a jacket. I sat next to Jane as Andrew examined her. He cleaned the gash on her head and dressed it.

"She just needs rest and food when she wakes."

"Will she be all right?" I stroked my sister's hair as she whimpered in her sleep.

"She should be fine. Just let her get sleep."

I nodded and lay down next to her. I had not held her in so long.

"What do we do now?" Flynn asked, sitting in the chair beside us.

"Set a heading for Virginia. It's time we found your father again."

"Are you sure you are up for another battle?"

"Yes." I closed my eyes.

I kissed Jane's forehead before slipping out of the bed. Flynn wrapped his arms around my waist and squeezed.

"I am very impressed with you," he said.

"Why?" I didn't look at him. I reached down and stroked Jane's soft hair, a faint hint of roses wafted up from her locks.

So much like mother.

"You never gave up on her. You kept going until you found her. You have changed so much. You are a remarkable woman, and she is lucky to have you as a sister."

"I just hope she will be okay."

"Maybe she will join the pirate life as well." He smiled.

"I don't think she is going to have a choice. I cannot let her go back to our father."

I grabbed one of my jackets and slipped it on and tied my sheath to my waist. It was good getting back into the clothes I was meant to wear. I left the braid though. It was nice having my hair out of my face. I took up my place at the helm with Scully. My compass was sitting open, taking us west.

"How long till we hit land?"

"It will be about seven or eight weeks as long as the weather agrees with us and we are not attacked by any other pirates."

"What are the chances of neither of those happening?"

"We will hit at least one storm, and it is hard to say about pirates."

"We are an unpredictable bunch." I leaned on the railing watching as Flynn ordered the men about.

"We are all mighty glad that you found the lost little lady." He patted me on the shoulder. "We knew you could do it."